Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot find %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe error prior to xp

• Please log in to reply

leh

leh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I uninstalled internet explorer 7 beta 3 broswer. After re-booting the xp "welcome" message and blue screen hangs instead of the desktop icons appearing and the system loading. An error message " Cannot find %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe " appears with the background wallpaper. After I click "ok" xp pro finally loads, but albeit much slower than usual. I tried re-installing explorer 7 hoping it would undo whatever was done by uninstalling it, but to no avail.

Interestingly, when re-installing the 3 Com LAN drivers, the error message is gone for the next boot only. All re-boots after, come back with the slow loading and the "cannot find" error message. However, I didn't have the problem until un-installing explorer 7. Something is corrupted or missing. What should I look for and how do I correct the problem?

Thanks!

Edited by leh, 25 July 2006 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo! :whistling:

First, you may want to try a tool XP has called the System File Checker. This checks all system files against the files on the XP CD and replaces any that are missing or damaged.

You can run this tool by going to Start | Run and typing sfc /scannow. Please notice the space between the sfc and /scannow. You will need to put your XP CD in your CD drive to use this tool. When the progress bar disappears, please restart your computer.

Good luck!

leh

leh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the tip. I used the sfc command with win 98 in the past, and hoped there would be an sfc for xp, but, I couldn't find it despite doing a search for xp run commands. Running sfc was the first thing I thought of too, but in this case, it wasn't the problem. I forgot how long this scan takes! Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I'm sure the sfc command will come in handy in the future. It's a good idea to run an occasional scan anyway.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry sfc didn't work, I have another idea that should put cmd.exe back in the proper location taking the file directly from the XP CD.
Would you please put your XP CD in your CD drive, then restart? Please make sure that your CD drive is set to boot before your hard drive. You may have to go into CMOS Setup (BIOS) to change the boot order. It's usually under Advanced Options or Boot, or something similar. To get into CMOS Setup, there is a button you must press that is usually listed on the bottom of the screen while your computer is just starting up.

Once you boot from it, press R to enter the Recovery console. Once in it, please type the following, making sure to replace <CD-ROM:> with your drive letter, such as D:\ and please notice the space after expand and .ex_ . Good luck!

expand <CD-ROM:>\i386\cmd.ex_ %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe

Edit: Just noticed I forgot a %. Sorry.

Edited by Pi rules, 01 August 2006 - 07:15 AM.

leh

leh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sorry sfc didn't work, I have another idea that should put cmd.exe back in the proper location taking the file directly from the XP CD.
Would you please put your XP CD in your CD drive, then restart? Please make sure that your CD drive is set to boot before your hard drive. You may have to go into CMOS Setup (BIOS) to change the boot order. It's usually under Advanced Options or Boot, or something similar. To get into CMOS Setup, there is a button you must press that is usually listed on the bottom of the screen while your computer is just starting up.

Once you boot from it, press R to enter the Recovery console. Once in it, please type the following, making sure to replace <CD-ROM:> with your drive letter, such as D:\ and please notice the space after expand and .ex_ . Good luck!

expand <CD-ROM:>\i386\cmd.ex_ %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe

Edit: Just noticed I forgot a %. Sorry.

leh

leh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I followed your recent suggestion, but all I could get was an "access denied" error message. I tried re-loadiing XP by using the "upgrade" option, but that didn't take care of the problem. It only slowed down the computer and messed up Internet Explorer to the point the browser became unusable. I finally decided to re-format and re-install XP. That FINALLY took care of it! Re-formatting of course, was a last resort, but the OS had become so corrupted, the usual solutions weren't working.

Thanks for all your efforts to solve my problem. Sometimes, things are so screwed up, you have no choice but to re-format and re-install. It's so much work, you'll try anything to avoid it.

Thanks again!

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry it ended that way. :whistling: