Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Cranky

Cranky

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi !!
My Doughter just bought a computer and it came with Windows XP home SP1.
Should she install SP2 or just stay with SP1 ? I hear SP2 is better but I also hear that some people start having trouble with there computer after they install SP2. She knows nothing about computers (Didnt even know how to get on the Internet).
I dont want her to start having alot of trouble right off the bat.
I would be Greatful for any advice.
Thanks Cranky !!!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Let me start off by saying sp2 is a huge download I think 75mb or something so if you have dial up goto thr MS website and order the disk its free.

I have installed sp2 on many computers of all brands and never had a problem but I take prcautions in this order

1. don't use dial up, dsl or cable ok but cd is best
2. Get all other MS critical updates and driver updates
3. Check computer manufactuers website for recomendations when installing sp2 such as driver updates or any other programs that came with the computer that might not work after installing sp2
4. run a full virus scan with a updated virus scan software.
5. Run Adaware to scan for spyware
6. Run disk clean up and remove everthing
7. Run error checking (windows XP, scan disk for other windows version) to check the drive.
8. Defragment the harddrive

The system should then be good to go but keep in mind if you are downloading the install will begin as soon as the download is complete and should not be disturbed so all these should be performed before hand,( another good reason to order the cd).

You will sooner or later have to have sp2 so I highly recomend it, if you have any questions on performing any of the above just ask.

Rick

Cranky

Cranky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi Doby !!
She has dialup, I knew that would take a long time. A couple of years ago I was on dialup and tried to download SP2 but my computer kept freezing up (bad cpu fan) . Get about half done and it would freeze. Talk about mad, I was steaming.
I will get the disk and do it that way. When I get it downloaded and installed should I uninstall SP1 ? Or just leave it (she has 256mb) . Well Im going now to order the disk.
Thanks for your help.

Tom !!! :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No you should not have to uninstall any MS update if there are no problems.

Rick

Cranky

Cranky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok !! Everything sounds good. I was going to bring her computer here because
I have cable, but for now Im going to try the disk first. If I have any trouble
(Like Arnald says) I'll be back.
Thanks Cranky !!!