Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no hard drive being recognized

• Please log in to reply

bballer88x

bballer88x

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I have an HP pavilion ze4420us. It has been broke for a while... it would start up then shut down constantly... i couldn't even hit any buttons because nothing loaded... it only started for about 2 3 seconds each time... it wasn't even on long enough to hit the power button to turn it off... so if anyone is having that problem... I replaced the ram and it worked... sure took a really long time for someone to figure that out though... just a little background just in case...but anyway... now it was finally working and my bro was playing a game... not even a good one just some like low graphics game... and all of a sudden it says dumping physical memory or something like that... when i tried to start it back up it loaded wierd then said operating system not found. When I go into the BIOS it doesn't even recognize that the hard driev is there... what happened? I even got a diff hard drive from work and it still doesn't recognize it... please help! thanx!!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well first off is it the only drive on that cable? Are they all plugged in good and tight? Maybe try replacing the cable.... IF all that fails it could be the on-board controller is bad..... You could possibly get a pci card to control your hard drives.....

bballer88x

bballer88x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok no... umm it is a laptop... did i mention that? guess not... wow sorry... but ya it is a laptop so... if anyone could still help please... thanx

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

ok no... umm it is a laptop... did i mention that? guess not... wow sorry... but ya it is a laptop so... if anyone could still help please... thanx

Well in that case best guess is bad hard drive or maybe overheating..... failing that maybe a bad battery or bad motherboard....

good luck

bballer88x

bballer88x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
anyone have any other ideas? and it isn't the hard drive i tried a diff hard drive in it... so that isn't it... the bios isn't even recognizing that the hard drive is there.... please help!!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
What size hard drive did you try? IF larger you may need to try one of the same or smaller size as was originally in it. Did you try it without the battery? I've seen bad batteries really screw up the bios on a laptop... failing that I think you have a bad controller/motherboard.. either way you are talking $300+ rough estimate for parts...