Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when opening files(mp3, wma, mpg etc)

• Please log in to reply

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I hope this is the right thread to post............

I can't seem to open files that I download from the net. Here's what I normally do.

I would go onto the site and click on the download link. The default windows or firefox download manager pops up and asks me if I want to "Open or Save" the file. Sound fimiliar? I'm using the latest version of firefox by the way. Anyway, usually I don't want to save the file onto my computer, but instead I normally would "Open" it to listen or to view the file. The file that I'm downloading is about 4mb, it's a pretty small file. Normally during download, it would tell me the size of the file in kb or mb. But this time during download, it's says "Unknown file size"

After it finishes downloading I get the following error message:

"C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Song - boom.mp3 could not be opened, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to disk first and then opening the file"

When I save it to my desktop, yes I can open it and view/listen to the file. But the thing is I don't want to save it, I only want to "Open" it to view/listen. Ever since I installed ZoneAlarm Suite, problems just start popping up out of no where, I'm getting error messages like "XPCOM Event Receiver Error" and connection problems, but then I managed to fix those. Now I get this new problem and it's driving me crazy.

Maybe ZoneAlarm is the cause of all of this, I just don't know where to look or what to blame.

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I Would like To something,
Opening is Saving.
When you open somthing from ie or Mozilla it saves it in a Temp folder.

An idea is to quit zonealarm and try opening the file without it.

J0hn

J0hn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yea the problem is from ZoneAlarm. I disabled it and it seems to open the file. I don't get the error anymore. But when I enable ZoneAlarm, it comes back. This is getting annoying.

EDIT:

I finally found the solution to my problem. For me to fix it, I had to shut off "Cookie Control and Ad Blocking"

As long as I have my own custom made ad blocking then I don't need ZoneAlarm's. As for the cookie control settings, I don't need ZoneAlarm's help for that, I can use Firefox to control those cookies. Anyway if people are using ZoneAlarm Suit and are having trouble fixing the below error:

"C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Song - boom.mp3 could not be opened, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to disk first and then opening the file"

^ If you get the above, then just fix it by shutting off "Cookie Control and Ad Blocking" under your Privacy tab.

Edited by J0hn, 26 July 2006 - 09:35 PM.