Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WSUS and client detection

• Please log in to reply

troender

troender

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm having problems with WSUS and client detection. I have WSUS installed on a W2003 SBS SP1. It can't detect any client computers. The client computers are all running Windows XP, SP1 or SP2. I've checked the group policy, that automatic updates are turned on. But I suspect some problems with the group policy anyway. I changed the policy, from automatic download and notify install, to automatic download and sceduled install. I ran gpupdate /force on the client computer, rebooted the computer, but the settings didn't change.
WSUS have no problems with syncronizing.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to make sure that in the GPO that the clients are being set to look to that server for updates..instead of windows updates...also you need to make sure that the GPO is actually being applied

here are some screen shots of how my gpo's are setup
[attachment=9853:attachment][attachment=9854:attachment][attachment=9855:attachment][attachment=9856:attachment]
mine is on a diff port becacuse i started out with SUS and switched to WSUS...SUS occupies port 80 by default...and...WSUS (according to documentation) has to use it as well...there are methods to take care of this (mentioned in the WSUS documentation)...all of the above GPO's are computer settings not user settings by the way.....are you applying your WSUS gpo to a computer OU? or a user OU?

you can also try this
wuauclt.exe /detectnow
that causes the client to automatically poll the WSUS server once the GPO has been applied to that machine

troender

troender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I couldn't read the settings in the first picture you sent me. But the other settings are OK. The policy is set to a computer OU. And I've checked that it points to the right server. But, as mentioned, I suspect that it's the group policy that in some way doesn't work, because changes wasn't applied on that computer I used for testing - so I guess the settings which points to the right server is not applied on the computer. I've also tried the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow, and still no luck. I haven't found any entries in the eventlog on neither the server or the computer that can give me any hint on what's wrong.