Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error box pops up every time I log on

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
An error box pops up at startup which reads as follows:

"Windows cannot find C;\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe" "Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search."

The only click option provided is "OK" I have to click this to allow startup programs to load.

This problem was posted a couple of days ago, and Keith assisted by suggesting I download and install LUSetup.exe. I did this (twice) and have re-installed Norton Internet Security. I thought that the problem had been resolved, but the box hasn't disappeared. I need help please.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After the programmes load, open Norton and disable start up, reboot, when it has loaded to the desktop, open Norton, does it show the error

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

An error box pops up at startup which reads as follows:

"Windows cannot find C;\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe" "Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search."

The only click option provided is "OK" I have to click this to allow startup programs to load.

This problem was posted a couple of days ago, and Keith assisted by suggesting I download and install LUSetup.exe. I did this (twice) and have re-installed Norton Internet Security. I thought that the problem had been resolved, but the box hasn't disappeared. I need help please.

I'm sorry I'm so dumb, but what do you mean by disable startup, and when what? has loaded to the desktop?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One of the options in Norton should be whether it runs at start up, if you can stop it running at start up, reboot and see if everything else loads so you get the computer to start without the error message

If so, open Norton to run it and see if it gives you the error message

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

One of the options in Norton should be whether it runs at start up, if you can stop it running at start up, reboot and see if everything else loads so you get the computer to start without the error message

If so, open Norton to run it and see if it gives you the error message

OK, I tried that but the error message still pops up with Norton disabled at startup.

I dont know if this is relevant, but I have just discovered that while Norton is working correctly on my (administrator's) profile, it has failed to integrate on my other two (family members) profiles, and cannot be fixed witht the autofix tool.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should cover all accounts, although only the administrator account is likely to be able to change any settings

Download Tune Up from the link so you get it while Norton is active, then run symnrt, then tune up

Click run it now here

http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install Norton

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

It should cover all accounts, although only the administrator account is likely to be able to change any settings

Download Tune Up from the link so you get it while Norton is active, then run symnrt, then tune up

Click run it now here

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install Norton

Hello Keith

Well I have followed your last set of instructions to the letter, and while the Tune up trial program has improved the performance of my computer no end (I'm sold on it) the pop up box wont go away.

I believe I have found it in the list of startup items (which I culled) in the system advisor, and I deleted the entry all together, but when I re-boot the popup box reappears. I go to the systems advisor, and the LUsetup item has mysteriously returned. I had tried just unchecking the box, but it also returned on reboot.

I am nearly there, if only I could get rid of the entry permanently in the list of startup items. Sorry, but over to you again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could look for it in start up / msconfig

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the tick for LUSetup, click apply, reboot

Tick do not start the windows configuration utility when windows loads

In tune up, you could remove the tick and delete the entry

If you are no too fussy about Norton, you could download and save these

http://www.personalf...gistration.html

http://www.antivirus...m/download.html

When you get the registration codes by e-mail, remove Norton

Run symnrt, click run it now

Install the new ones

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

You could look for it in start up / msconfig

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the tick for LUSetup, click apply, reboot

Tick do not start the windows configuration utility when windows loads

In tune up, you could remove the tick and delete the entry

If you are no too fussy about Norton, you could download and save these

http://www.personalf...gistration.html

http://www.antivirus...m/download.html

When you get the registration codes by e-mail, remove Norton

Run symnrt, click run it now

Install the new ones

Me again Keith

The popup persists after I unchecked the box and deleted in tuneup. I ran msconfig, but it doesnt appear in the startup list at all. Went back to tuneup system advisor, and there it is again in the list large as life. This really is annoying, as it slows my startup each time. As I have just paid for 2 years North subscription I am reluctant to ditch it. Do you have any final suggestions for me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click run it now

Run tune up disc clean up and registry clean up

Install Norton

Advertisements

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Click run it now

Install Norton

It tells that Norton doesnt support the Auto Fix Tools. Should I uninstall as usual?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, then run symnrt

Were you using IE when you ran symnrt

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Click run it now

Install Norton

It tells that Norton doesnt support the Auto Fix Tools. Should I uninstall as usual?

Not quite sure what symnrt is. I tried typing that into the "Run" box but it said that windows cant find it.

I uninstalled Norton manually through the PC because it wouldnt recognize the Symantec Auto fix tool, then ran the disc cleaner and registry cleaner in tune up. Then I rebooted. Is all this correct? Because this has gone on for some time, perhaps if you would do a final dot point of what I must do, I can repeat it independently withoiut bothering you so much. Also need an explanatiion of Symnrt please

Sorry for trubs

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SymNRT is the removal tool in post 10 but you must be using internet explorer for it to run

Which version / year of Norton have you got?

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

SymNRT is the removal tool in post 10 but you must be using internet explorer for it to run

Which version / year of Norton have you got?

Internet Explorer 2006. It has always run perfectly until this popup jumped in. Could you just reiterate the order of events please Keith, as I have got a little confused over the various posts.

Thanks