Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error box pops up every time I log on

• Please log in to reply

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

SymNRT is the removal tool in post 10 but you must be using internet explorer for it to run

Which version / year of Norton have you got?

Internet Explorer 2006. It has always run perfectly until this popup jumped in. Could you just reiterate the order of events please Keith, as I have got a little confused over the various posts.

Thanks

Sorry, Internet Security 2006

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have used add and remove to uninstall Norton, and then run tune up disc and registry clean up, install norton

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

SymNRT is the removal tool in post 10 but you must be using internet explorer for it to run

Internet Explorer 2006. It has always run perfectly until this popup jumped in. Could you just reiterate the order of events please Keith, as I have got a little confused over the various posts.

Thanks

Sorry meant to say Norton Internet Security 2006.

Well I have just finished re-installing Norton yet again, and I could hear the audible error prompt cut in even before the PC closed to re-boot. Just about reached the end of my tether today. Will have to come back tomorrow if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thanks

Sorry meant to say Norton Internet Security 2006.

Well I have just finished re-installing Norton yet again, and I could hear the audible error prompt cut in even before the PC closed to re-boot. Just about reached the end of my tether today. Will have to come back tomorrow if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks

Just logged on again, and the popup remains. I take it that I have a choice in this Keith, either live with it or change from Norton to something else, is that right?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As an extra check, you could uninstall Norton, run symnrt, install the Comodo products in post 8, run them for a week, if you do not get an
error then contact Norton

The XP firewall did disable when the Norton one was on?

As for Comodo firewall, it is very impressive and runs itself

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

As an extra check, you could uninstall Norton, run symnrt, install the Comodo products in post 8, run them for a week, if you do not get an
error then contact Norton

The XP firewall did disable when the Norton one was on?

As for Comodo firewall, it is very impressive and runs itself

A few questions please Keith:

I thought you said that symnrt was a tool to uninstall Norton?

How do I check to see if the XP firewall has been disabled?

Why are we talking firewalls? Isnt it a question of XP not being able to find a legitimate executable file (LUSetup.exe) which has been downloaded as part of the Norton suite?

Is Comodo another make of Norton, will it do all the things that Norton claims to do?

I'm trying hard to understand all this, but as you will see I'm very green. Still got to start somewhere I suppose.

Thanks again for continuing to assist

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wasn't sure if you had Norton Internet Security which includes a firewall, and should disable the XP Firewall so they do not conflict.

What I would do is uninstall Norton, install Comodo, run it for a week, then go back to Norton and explain you can run other anti virus programmes but theirs gives an error

If you install Comodo you can check it with these each day, they run in the background and you would only need to run one of them

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

If you do not have a third party firewall, install the Comodo one

If you click start, control panel, security centre, click windows firewall at the bottom to check the dot is in off, if you have another firewall

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Wasn't sure if you had Norton Internet Security which includes a firewall, and should disable the XP Firewall so they do not conflict.

What I would do is uninstall Norton, install Comodo, run it for a week, then go back to Norton and explain you can run other anti virus programmes but theirs gives an error

If you install Comodo you can check it with these each day, they run in the background and you would only need to run one of them

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

If you do not have a third party firewall, install the Comodo one

If you click start, control panel, security centre, click windows firewall at the bottom to check the dot is in f, if you have another firewall

Hello Techs,

I seem to be in deeper trouble with this popup business. I have uninstalled NAV entirely, and after re-booting the popup still comes up each time I startup. I am about to install an alternative AV program, but if the popup is caused by NAV then surely it should disappear when the programme has been uninstalled? Tuneup advisor lets me uncheck the critter, and/or delete the entry entirely, and the popup box does not come up the first time I re-boot. As soon as I re-boot for the second time back it comes again.

I typed msconfig in the Run box, but the popup details are not listed in the startup list from that angle.

I am completely baffled now. Do you have any last ditch suggestions please???

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot to see if the error is there

Use search, including hidden and system files, look for Norton, move any files it finds to the recycle bin

Look for Symantec then do the same with those

Reboot to check for the error

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot to see if the error is there

Use search, including hidden and system files, look for Norton, move any files it finds to the recycle bin

Hi Keith

Well the prefetch didnt work, so then I searched My Computer for Norton, Symantec and LUSetup. A lot of files came up, most of whhich I moved to the re-cycle bin, but a lot said that they could not read the disc, or source files. Rebooted, and of course our little friend is still there.

I went back to tuneup, and the startup list shows the offending error message, saying that it is an unknown manufacturer and is invalid for the startup menu, that it should be removed. As I have said before, if I remove the entry, the popup is not present on initial re-boot but returns the next time, with the corresponding entry re-instated in the tuneup startup list. I have copied and pasted the exact file path from "properties" when right clicking the entry. It is as follows:

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe -s -a -q -log -version

I have been running "Avast" instead of Norton since yesterday, and it is interesting to note that it picked up about three trojans that Norton never found. But of course the error message is always there to delay my startups. Over to you again I'm afraid.

Regards Michael

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you open the symantec folder in programme files to see if you can delete the log file

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hi Keith

Well the prefetch didnt work, so then I searched My Computer for Norton, Symantec and LUSetup. A lot of files came up, most of whhich I moved to the re-cycle bin, but a lot said that they could not read the disc, or source files. Rebooted, and of course our little friend is still there.

I went back to tuneup, and the startup list shows the offending error message, saying that it is an unknown manufacturer and is invalid for the startup menu, that it should be removed. As I have said before, if I remove the entry, the popup is not present on initial re-boot but returns the next time, with the corresponding entry re-instated in the tuneup startup list. I have copied and pasted the exact file path from "properties" when right clicking the entry. It is as follows:

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe -s -a -q -log -version

I have been running "Avast" instead of Norton since yesterday, and it is interesting to note that it picked up about three trojans that Norton never found. But of course the error message is always there to delay my startups. Over to you again I'm afraid.

Regards Michael

Sorry cant find a Symantec folder anywhere

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check the programme files folder for Norton / Symantec

Also look in Programme files / Common files

Use search, include hidden and system files

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Can you check the programme files folder for Norton / Symantec

Also look in Programme files / Common files

Use search, include hidden and system files

Yes, I have done all that and I have deleted many suspicious looking log files and others. But still the popup persists just prior to starting. As soon as I type my password (multi-users) the sound bit goes "plomp" and the startup is delayed for about 30 secs until the popup shows up. I then have to delete it, and the other programs load as normal.

I actually thought I had found the offender, it was marked SYMEVENT.LOG - it was a temporary text file 8kb, but I deleted it along with the others to no avail.

I have searched "My Computer" with just about every individual part of the filepath I posted recently, but nothing doing.

I get the impression that the difficulty is with Windows getting hung up on not being able to find the LUSetup.exe file at some time, rather than something from Symantec hanging around, or am I way out there?

Is it likely that I will have to re-install Windows and all the updates if nothing else can be done?

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Clear the prefetch folder

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all

Then replace the ticks for the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes you have, click apply

Click the services tab, remove any ticks for symantec / norton, click apply and reboot

Tick do not start the cvonfiguration utilty when windows gets to the desktop