Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error box pops up every time I log on

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
jpg should do

Advertisements

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
How can I change the format of the existing file Keith?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the image, click file, click save as, use the menu to look for jpeg

If you don't get the option, download irfanview, then the plug ins, install both, open the image with irfanview

http://www.irfanview.com

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
OK Here goes

popup.jpg

Dont know if this will work

Apparently it has, is it readable?

And thanks Keith - a big learn for me

Yeoman

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Yea take the screenshot and paste it into paint, or if you already saved it, open it in paint. Save it as a jpeg then post it here...

geek wont let you post a bmp probably because its to big in size, it effects their bandwidth.

err never mind im a bit late on posting that lol...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 14 August 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
copy and paste this in your run

go start ...click run..copy and paste this

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe

click ok......install it

go into safemode and go to your add and remove programs and try to uninstall it from there

run your disk cleanup

worth a try

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks guys, I'll come back to your advice later.

Just thought I'd mention that I have finally located the actual file in the registry, and its file path is as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run Once

Now I went back through all techs instructions from a couple of weeks ago, and tried deleting the file from the registry after creating the regfile etc. - the file deleted OK, but alas it returned after turning the machine off and re-booting. Well at least I know where the file is now, and can find it when necessary.

Does anyone have any idea how to delete the file permanently.

In frustration I recently subscribed to "Registry Mechanic" which works really well, and in fact picks it up in the Start Up registry cleanup every time (which is how I sussed the file path). It deletes the file and shows the problem as having been resolved, but of course it returns on re-boot. Interesting that the error doesn't popup on Restart, only after the machine is turned off and rebooted. Must go to bed now though, thanks again.

Hope I'm not boring you all, but I just feel that I am a bit nearer to solving this d..n thing! :whistling:

Edited by Yeoman, 14 August 2006 - 09:28 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
the norton you installed its not a corporate edition just asking cause its extremely difficult to remove

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download this

http://www.yorkspace...c-de-crapifier/

Remove all the ticks except the one for live update, run it and then reboot

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

the norton you installed its not a corporate edition just asking cause its extremely difficult to remove

No its not the corporate edition, but thanks for asking

Advertisements

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Can you download this

http://www.yorkspace...c-de-crapifier/

Remove all the ticks except the one for live update, run it and then reboot

I downloaded this Keith, and ran it as you suggested, but no good. It is still there on reboot.

I am probably talking through my hat here, but when I go to the registry entry, and right click the errant file, it gives me the option of delete or modify binary values. I dont suppose that messing with the binary values will stuff it up to the point that it becomes disabled will it? (dont worry I wont touch anything unless you say so!)

Cheers

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

copy and paste this in your run

go start ...click run..copy and paste this

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe

click ok......install it

go into safemode and go to your add and remove programs and try to uninstall it from there

run your disk cleanup

worth a try

Hi - sorry I was going to give your suggestion a try, but please remind me how I go into safe mode thanks

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go start....run.... type in msconfig click ok ...click the boot tab.....check safeboot...click ok

when you get to safemode be sure live update is installed then go to your add n remove programs and uninstall after you done that run a cleaner disc clean-up or ccleaner just to pick up anything left behind

it may not be malware but you should post a hijack log for some one to see

GOOD LUCK

Zveky

Zveky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Just thought I'd mention that I have finally located the actual file in the registry, and its file path is as follows:

Now I went back through all techs instructions from a couple of weeks ago, and tried deleting the file from the registry after creating the regfile etc. - the file deleted OK, but alas it returned after turning the machine off and re-booting. Well at least I know where the file is now, and can find it when necessary.

In frustration I recently subscribed to "Registry Mechanic" which works really well, and in fact picks it up in the Start Up registry cleanup every time (which is how I sussed the file path). It deletes the file and shows the problem as having been resolved, but of course it returns on re-boot. Interesting that the error doesn't popup on Restart, only after the machine is turned off and rebooted. Must go to bed now though, thanks again.

Hope I'm not boring you all, but I just feel that I am a bit nearer to solving this d..n thing! :blink:

Hmm..grr i am limited in my expression cos my bed english bit i will try explain with limited number of word lol

Ok, let's go..by the way i thought you found registry value for Lusetup, well nevermind.
I'll tell you what i have done and not helped me:
1. Everything said in this topic <-Not helped :whistling:
2. Registry Mechanic <-Not helped
3. Manually trying to do what win says (it is here HKEY_LOCAL\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run Once) <-Not helped
It only duplicated everything in my Symantec\Live Update folder :help:)

I can delete value and data from registry but after refresh it is again there.

Buttt when i close Ad-aware i can delete that value permanently !!!!! and when i disable ad-awares autostart no more Lusetup value in my registry therefore no more problem!
Ad-aware is important to me (yes dialer killed me and i burned lol) so i found have to have it and cleen registry with disabling "lock startup section"(maybe keith knows what it is) in ad-aware ofcours. i dont know wheater you have that option in your spyware killer program but try to find it.
I thing that essence of problem starts with norton instalation. IMO when you install norton and reboot cos instalation wants it, then install trys to complete installation by installing live update. But if you already had live update(uninstalling norton won't unnistall Live update if i can recoll) or install in some other way registry key which is "pointer" to that activity, doesn't erase (That explains \Run Once section) soo we have some kind of infinite loop(i think) and than problem is in Win.

I don't know if this post can solve your problem but i am sure that if you delete that Reg key permanently everithing will be ok.

Good luck :)

Yeoman

Yeoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hope I'm not boring you all, but I just feel that I am a bit nearer to solving this d..n thing! :blink:

Hmm..grr i am limited in my expression cos my bed english bit i will try explain with limited number of word lol

Ok, let's go..by the way i thought you found registry value for Lusetup, well nevermind.
I'll tell you what i have done and not helped me:
1. Everything said in this topic <-Not helped :whistling:
2. Registry Mechanic <-Not helped
3. Manually trying to do what win says (it is here HKEY_LOCAL\Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run Once) <-Not helped
It only duplicated everything in my Symantec\Live Update folder :help:)

I can delete value and data from registry but after refresh it is again there.

Buttt when i close Ad-aware i can delete that value permanently !!!!! and when i disable ad-awares autostart no more Lusetup value in my registry therefore no more problem!
Ad-aware is important to me (yes dialer killed me and i burned lol) so i found have to have it and cleen registry with disabling "lock startup section"(maybe keith knows what it is) in ad-aware ofcours. i dont know wheater you have that option in your spyware killer program but try to find it.
I thing that essence of problem starts with norton instalation. IMO when you install norton and reboot cos instalation wants it, then install trys to complete installation by installing live update. But if you already had live update(uninstalling norton won't unnistall Live update if i can recoll) or install in some other way registry key which is "pointer" to that activity, doesn't erase (That explains \Run Once section) soo we have some kind of infinite loop(i think) and than problem is in Win.

I don't know if this post can solve your problem but i am sure that if you delete that Reg key permanently everithing will be ok.

Good luck :)

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I havnt had time to mess about with this. Yes .... it seems that you are right, the popup has gone!!!

I have "Spy Sweeper", and I disabled the "load at startup", then went into the reg and deleted the file.

Just before, and I dont know if it was too risky - I corrupted the binary codes for the file. When I re-started the popup file came up, but was full of funny characters. Still I believe that it is your suggestion that did the final trick. Now I am not game to replace the Spy Sweeper at startup, in case it comes back again, so I will just have to remember to sweep regularly once my programs are loaded at startup.

Well done - you seem to have come up with the answer, or at least a fix.

Thank you - What country are you from? I am in Australia

Regards Michael