Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error box pops up every time I log on

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well done, Zveky... :whistling:

I'm glad this has been sorted out. :blink:

Advertisements

Zveky

Zveky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

[Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I havnt had time to mess about with this. Yes .... it seems that you are right, the popup has gone!!!

I have "Spy Sweeper", and I disabled the "load at startup", then went into the reg and deleted the file.

Just before, and I dont know if it was too risky - I corrupted the binary codes for the file. When I re-started the popup file came up, but was full of funny characters. Still I believe that it is your suggestion that did the final trick. Now I am not game to replace the Spy Sweeper at startup, in case it comes back again, so I will just have to remember to sweep regularly once my programs are loaded at startup.

Well done - you seem to have come up with the answer, or at least a fix.

Thank you - What country are you from? I am in Australia

Regards Michael

Hehe, NP , for now everything is OK, ad-aware once collapsed on startup but it only happened once.
I think agony finished for us :blink:
I haven't rested before i found solution heheh stubborn :whistling:
I am glad i helped.
I am from Croatia :help: grrr you overcomed us on World cup hehehe
Bye

Zveky

Zveky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Well done, Zveky... :whistling:

I'm glad this has been sorted out. :help:

Huh yea, it's beacause i had problem right in front of my eyes. I want to thank all of you for suggestions. It helped me with finding solution.
I even now don't know exactly why problem occured and why my "strategy" worked, but who cares

Bye everybody!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hey, I just wanted to add to this - I was cleaning up a PC for someone this week who had uninstalled Norton and kept getting this identical error. I ran the Symantec tools, I personally cleaned over 100 entries from the registry, and searched every inch of that PC and still had the problem. When I looked at the user's Spysweeper, there were indeed 2 startup entries that Spysweeper was shielding. I couldn't delete them for anything, and if I unchecked them, they came right back on the second reboot. Upon checking with Webroot, the makers of Spysweeper, I found that this was a known issue - Spysweeper protecting entries that no longer existed - but it had only happened a few times in the real world, and they are not yet able to reproduce it, and thus fix it. Our solution was to completely uninstall Spysweeper and re-install it - we'll see how that goes.