Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my PSU to blame?

• Please log in to reply

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ive tried everthing I can think of to solve/troubleshoot my problem, ive tried different ram, graphics card, sound card, disabled onboard devices, reinstalled windows XP and booted into safe mode and it will still give me the BSOD but with different stop messages, ive kept a notepad and made note of every error message and I have over 30.

the only thing that temp solves the problem is if I blow out the system with an air compressor, it will run like a champ for 2-3 weeks which would leave me to believe that something is overheating, ive put arctic silver under the CPU, replaced the heatsink with a monster thermaltake fan, the system itself is in a thermaltake case and has over 6 stock fans, ive added 3 for overkill and have a boxfan against the side and IT STILL LOCKS UP!.

If I leave the system off for an hour or so, it will boot up just fine so something is overheating, but ive tried everything exept replacing the PSU.

Its an Asus p4p800 with an offbrand T.G.I. 430w PSU.

I figure its going to be cheaper to replace the PSU than the MB and CPU and wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I drop 50-60.00 on a good PSU that may or may not solve the problem.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it very well could be the psu....generally the words off brand...and psu should never be spoken in the same sentence...if you have access to a psu to test this before buying a new one that would be good...but...most people don't exactly have that luxury

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I wish I did have that luxury, but knowing that the PSU "could" be the problem, its worth buying another to try it, I hate to spend the cash since im alittle short all the time, but if theres a chance and ive tried just about everything else, its worth it.

Do you have a suggestion on a very high quality PSU? I have no idea what im looking for.

Thanks again.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
antec, ocz, are pretty nice psu manufacturers. you should definetely invest in a nice psu as it is essential for a good system and future upgrades. Just as a thought... have you tried running with the case open, or taking temp measurements. More fans does not mean cooler, you have to make sure that the exhaust and the intake is balanced or you will get dead spots. Now one thing i would add is that p4p800 is not a very good board, (i had one and an offbrand psu too... and both gave out after 9 month, plus the 430 watt on the psu is probably a fictisious number anyway.) so maybe upgrade to another board if possible.

http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=28550 Antec NeoHe

Edited by †Gladiator†, 26 July 2006 - 02:07 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If you blow out all the dust and it works for 2-3 weeks, that would tend to suggest that you have an environment problem. Do you have the machine on the floor on carpet? If so, get it away from the carpet as that tends to get dust/dirt into the machine.

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thats the thing, it doesnt get that dusty, I know it sounds like I live in a barn, but when I blow out the system, its not "that" dirty.

Sure, I get some dust, but thats to be expected.

The system is not on carpet, its on a rolling caddy type thing in a tiled room.

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

antec, ocz, are pretty nice psu manufacturers. you should definetely invest in a nice psu as it is essential for a good system and future upgrades. Just as a thought... have you tried running with the case open, or taking temp measurements. More fans does not mean cooler, you have to make sure that the exhaust and the intake is balanced or you will get dead spots. Now one thing i would add is that p4p800 is not a very good board, (i had one and an offbrand psu too... and both gave out after 9 month, plus the 430 watt on the psu is probably a fictisious number anyway.) so maybe upgrade to another board if possible.

http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=28550 Antec NeoHe

My first instinct was to replace my board becuase I have heard some bad things about it, but since I dont want to replace my 478 p4, I thought id do whatever to try and fix it.

If I replace the board, ill end up buying a new cpu becuase im finding that good boards using the 478 chipset are hard to come by.

I think ill replace the PSU first, if that doesnt work, ill have to start putting some cash away for a new board and cpu.

Any recommendations on a very good quality Mainboard? I tend to buy whatever my local oem shop has in stock, mabey I need to buy differently.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it is very appreciated!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The question is why does blowing the dust out work for a couple of weeks. Are the air intake vents fairly clean?

It might not be related thought, but it sounds strange.

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The question is why does blowing the dust out work for a couple of weeks. Are the air intake vents fairly clean?

It might not be related thought, but it sounds strange.

I have no idea why it works, when I blow it out, I do get dust, but its not as bad as I would think it should be.
I have an airbear filter system in my furnace which filters out 90% of all dust from both the central air and heat, I also have a UV sterilizer insalled in my air ducts, not sure if the UV sterilizer helps with the filtration, but you get the idea on what level of dust is in my house (alot less than normal)

im doing something to the system when I blow it out becuase it will work for the time I specified and then I need to blow it out again, what exactly im doing is a total mystery other then blowing out the psu and fan on the cpu.

could it just be very sensitive? mabey my fans are not installed so that air passes through the system? I do leave the side off the case.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If you leave the sides of the case off, you will not get the required airflow. It might keep cool enough, but it might not, at least not some parts of the system.