Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SDRAM Memory Spec's ?

• Please log in to reply

Southend

Southend

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm trying to fix my Brother-in-laws computer which he tells me went wrong during a Windows Update, to the point that it now won't boot up because it has a currupted XP Installation. So I first tried to do a Windows repair and after a while this crashed with a blue screen. So I did a Memtest86 and it found many errors, so I deduced the memory needed renewing and was probably the cause of the problems in the first place.
The problem now is I installed the new Memory and the computer just intermittently 'beeps', nothing would appear on screen at all. Tried both slots, still the same. So I then put the old 512Mb memory back, which got me back to where I am now, but I can't do a Windows repair as it will just crash.

Now what I suspect is that I have bought the wrong memory but the only thing looking at the spec that I may have got wrong is the one I bought is [/u]ECC Registered:

KVR266X72RC25/1GD 1GB 266MHz DDR ECC Registered CL2.5 DIMM Dual Rank, x8
http://www.valueram....mp;SUBMIT1=Find

Should I have a NON-ECC one?

I'm not sure what the make[u] his Motherboard is even though I found the pdf manual on-line 'L7VMM2' 462-pin.
http://www.ecsusa.co.../manual_l7.html
Never hears of ecsusa and can't find it in any 'compatibilty listing in Kingston'?

The Mobo spec. states: Supports DDR upto 200/266MHz DDR SDRAM Memory module. Accommodates 2 unbuffered 2.5v 184-pin slots. Each slot supports upto 1GB with a total maximum capacity of 2GB.

Any help would be much appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://www.memory-up...x?modelid=11100

Check that link out to verify the information is correct, but according to them it has to be NON-ECC RAM. I hope this helps.

By the way if the beeps you are hearing are one beep followed by 3 short beeps, then it is definitely memory.

Let me know how you make out.

Good Luck

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks jaxisland,

It is actually a 2 second beep then 2 second silence then 2 second beep etc, not loud. Anyway it looks like I should have bought the non-ECC one ~ bah. I now know what make the MoBo is 'ECS', thanks to your link. He must have an older model as it only has 2 slots and is PC2100, I don't think it goes to PC2700.

I don't suppose I'll get my money back on the one I bought now it's been opened and powered up :-(

An expensive learning curve!

Thanks once again.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
A lesson most of have learned at one time or another. I hope it works out for you and let me know how it goes.

Good Luck!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://www.pcguide.c...rrParity-c.html

That is a small overview of the difference between ECC RAM.

Have a godd day!

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks once again, I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully before we go on holiday.

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I bought non-ECC memory from Maplin's today, installed and Memtest86 error free.

Unfortunately, Windows repair seems beyond repair had two half attempts now it just sits with the hour glass with a black screen behind. I think my only solution is a complete fresh install of XP, so bang go's any settings he had. I have copied the whole hard disk, so no data/photo's etc are lost, I've even copied to a DVD.

Such is life .

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
All back and working again now, a clean XP install was what it needed, probably got rid of all the dross as well.

Thanks for your help.
:whistling: