Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ip address

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi ive recently re installed windows but my ethernet port does not seem to be working my router wont connect to the pc ive been on to aol and they seem to think that i need to configure my ip address can anyone help???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > device manager > do you see any yellow ? or !

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
yep i see 3 yellow ? marks 1 for other devices 1 for ethernet controller and one for multimedia audio controller...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there you go.... you don't have your NIC drivers installed....

what kind of computer is this?

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
its a dell, they were installed before i reinstalled windows im just gona have a look through my discs that came wit. tut i dont know a bit of knowledge and a bit of comman sense gets you a long way. :whistling:

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
A quick fix for this... use the computer you can get online with... go to http://support.dell..../...;l=en&s=gen

Simply look at the front of your dell (assuming its a dell) look at what kind it is, most likely you have a dell Dimension....

just pick whatever it says, and the model... then look for your ethernet drivers... (its usually the top most driver, then burn it to cd and take it to the other pc that wont work :whistling:

if you have dell cds, the drivers are found on the BLUE dell cd that says "Drivers and Applications"

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
There is only one floor in that im on the pc that dont work :whistling: :blink:
I can use the usb modem but it wont let me use the ethernet socket to use my router!! am i makin sense to ya

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're online on the pc thta doesn't work via usb on the modem..just go to that page that was listed and follow the same instructions...you need to get the drivers for your NIC card

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
this is gonna sound a bit daft but i am really strugglin with this coz my pc is 3 years old so im struggleing to find the drivers and i dont think they have been updated. could it just be better all round to buy a new card, that comes with drivers... :whistling:

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok tell me your Dell make and model... for example mine is a Dimension 4600... it says on the front of my case...

What does yours say, and I will find the driver for you and post the link here.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
for the sake of a fiver and poping into the pc shop on my lunch hour ive just bought a new card...
its probably the safest option coz no doubt ill need to reinstall so i cant be going throuh this hassle all the time.