Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro crashed

• Please log in to reply

arlene1

arlene1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've tried everything from the restore cd to boot order. And still this box comes up and reads
lsass.exe-Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the apllication may fix the problem.

Problem is when i click O.K it goes to the HP blue bachground screen an does nothing. I don't even hear the harddrive, just the fan.

Please I've been searching for help. spent $20 just for a man to come to my house and tell me I got a virus and he can fi it but it will cost $$$$$. Wasted $20 on just 5 minutes.
Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
f the lsass.exe is spelt with a capital L this is ok...if spelt all lower case this is a virus.
This has been around sometime. You need to get this microsoft update after removing the virus.

http://www.microsoft...n/MS04-011.mspx

But FIRST you need to go to the malware forum and get some help in removing the virus.

SRX660

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
i have lsass.exe in my task manager but it is always acting normal and is spelled with all lowercase. i have scanned my computer regularly and it just might not be a virus but actually a fault in xp or when he has installed xp