Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express 6 won't read vcards

• Please log in to reply

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I am having problems getting Outlook Express to read vcards although it is the default application.

If I click on a vcard, Microsoft Outlook opens it and I can't add it to my Outlook Express Address Book.

Unfortunately my husband only uses Outlook Express and I need to fix this as quickly as possible.

I appreciate any help!! :whistling:

Carol

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think you have to 'import' vcards into Outlook Express in order to open them, rather than trying to open them directly. This is what the help file within Outlook Express says on the subject:

"To import a business card:

In the Address Book, on the File menu, point to Import, and then click Business Card (vCard).
Locate the business card file on your computer or a network drive, select it, and then click Open.
Note

When the business card is added to your Address Book, a dialog box appears where you can modify or add to the contact information as necessary.
Once the contact's street address is entered on the Business tab, you can click the tab's View Map button to display a map pinpointing the address. When you click View Maps, Expedia Maps opens in your browser with a printable street map showing the contact's address."

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi!
Actually, I did figure it out. I had to go into Tools....File Types....found VCF...went into Advanced and edited the location of the Action.....for whatever reason, it wasn't pointing to the right application.

I really appreciate that people on this site are so helpful!!!
Have a great day! :whistling:
Carol

I think you have to 'import' vcards into Outlook Express in order to open them, rather than trying to open them directly. This is what the help file within Outlook Express says on the subject:

"To import a business card:

In the Address Book, on the File menu, point to Import, and then click Business Card (vCard).
Locate the business card file on your computer or a network drive, select it, and then click Open.
Note

When the business card is added to your Address Book, a dialog box appears where you can modify or add to the contact information as necessary.
Once the contact's street address is entered on the Business tab, you can click the tab's View Map button to display a map pinpointing the address. When you click View Maps, Expedia Maps opens in your browser with a printable street map showing the contact's address."