Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Common Folder

• Please log in to reply

chuck

chuck

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Beginning a couple of weeks ago, each time I booted, the Common Folder appeared. By going to Computer/Folders, I found it listed and deleted it. When I rebooted, it did not appear. That is the good news. Is there any bad news, having deleted it?

I am the only user of my computer. Do I need a Common Folder? If so, can I create a new one without retrieving the deleted one from the recycle bin and, if I create a new one, is it likely to appear on boot? I assume that, if I retrieve the deleted one from the recycle bin, it will appear on boot.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am confused about what you mean by appearing. As in the folder would open when you booted?

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, it appeared as an open, empty folder on my desktop.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well I cant think of anything right off the top of my head that it would cause problems with. I know this isnt a definite answer but run without it for a while and if you get some problems with apps running create a new one with the same permissions and see what happens.

Good Luck

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks, jaxisland.

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
jaxisland, I haven't experienced any problem as yet, having sent the Common folder to the recycle bin but, if I should, what do you mean by "create a new one with the same permissions?" How would I create a new one?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you ever needed it you could just right click and click new ->folder. Name it Common Folder and check the properties on it by right clicking on the new folder. Just match those up with the original one. I have a feeling you wont need it though.

chuck

chuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks, jaxisland. I created a new common folder and it does not appear on desktop at boot.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your welcome, happy computing!