Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My hard drive is literally missing 40 gigs of space

• Please log in to reply

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No doubt this is an issue, and no doubt is hasnt been fixed quickly and probably wont be :blink:...
Look im not trying to insult... im just saying, ive personally been there done that.

When you have a bios that has 9 different updates, and you are using the first version... I think that says a lot.

If you look on google, you will find that some computers dont support above, 4gb drives, 37gb drives, etc... diff levels based upon peoples bios's.

All im saying is, you are trying a bunch of diff things, when first you could try updating compenents of the computer that probably need it, that usually fix this type of problem.... Then if that doesnt work, go through other methods...

1 thing is for sure....

Updates are called updates for a reason... :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I'll leave you to it then

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
if you'll remember, aitrus, the reason we haven't already flashed my BIOS is because I had trouble getting my comp to boot the CD

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
One of my friends (has the same exact laptop, we got them at school) suggested that I was supposed to turn off IBM Rescue and Recovery's automatic backup system. Any thoughts?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
If you have a supposed 55gb hard drive, 13 of it is in use, then 42 gb is missing...

#1 If IBM had an emergency restore feature on it, it would be on a second partition (much like compaq)
#2 You would be able to see the partition im my computer period, if not, there is no way you could restore without an active ntfs and/or fat32 system on that second partition, unless of course IBM used a linux partition for this restore, which is not the case.

#3 Even if all the above was wrong or true... is it likely that IBM would take 42gb of space to backup your 13gb of usage? Much less keep a restore file that big, being 42gb in size?

#4 We have got to find a way to boot your laptop from cd and/or floppy. I recommend asking your friend who has the same thinkpad laptop, if he has an external plugnplay floppy disk drive, and if so, ask him if you can use it. Or ask him if he knows how to boot to the cd on his system.

Since yours doesnt boot from cd, even when changing the order in which booting takes place in bios, it looks like we need to get you that floppy...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 29 July 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Accomplished the updating of my Embedded Controller and the Flashing of my BIOS. Problem persists.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Just confirmed that the Hard drive is not partitioned using the program Partition Logic (found on download.com)

I'm at a real dead end, here.

Edited by Aushin, 30 July 2006 - 01:13 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the school look after the maintenance of the laptops

Are you able to back up the data on the drive

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If your friend has an identical computer, and if possible, try to swap hard disks. If the problem disappears in your computer and appears on his computer then something is wrong with your hard disk. This swap can be easily made since the computers are identical.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I would, but I knew him from college, and we collaborated via AIM. He lives hours and hours away.

Advertisements

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Still seeking assistance.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Aushin

I'm no expert

Found this on the IBM site, have you checked it out???

http://www-307.ibm.c...GR#APPLYCOUNTRY

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Well I checked it out, but the site has errors on it. From what I read they were just going to clear temporary files anyway, which I've done a bunch of times now. Thanks for the tip, though.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
towards the bottom of the page it has this

Optimize the hard drive performance by removing temporary files to increase the amount of free space.
Use the following automated solution to attempt to fix your problem automatically (learn more about automated solutions).

Increase free space on your hard drive

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yep. "Remove temporary files". The problem isn't the amount of files I have on my computer, but the fact that the computer reads the small amount there as much more than they actually are. I'm using 13 GB and for some reason we haven't figured out yet, the comp claims i'm using 54.