Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing space in external drive

• Please log in to reply

minlight

minlight

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm using windows xp with a 80gb external hard drive for video and music files. Recently i discovered that the amount of free space i have does not tally with what i should have. My files only take up 64gb out of the 74gb available, but i only have 233mb free space.

where did almost 9gb of space go?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I'm using windows xp with a 80gb external hard drive for video and music files. Recently i discovered that the amount of free space i have does not tally with what i should have. My files only take up 64gb out of the 74gb available, but i only have 233mb free space.

where did almost 9gb of space go?

Well it could be wasted space due to allocation units.... is the 80gb formated ntfs or FAT32? IF fat32 you will get more wasted space as the allocation units will be larger.... what that means is no matter what size a file is it will be rounded to the closest size of allocation units..... if your allocation units are 32kb then even a 1 bit file will take 32kb of space.... and one that is 32kb plus 1 byte will take 64kb etc....

You could also try running a chkdsk on the drive plus a drive clean up.... it could be hidden files or some such as well..... Maybe scan for a virus as well.....

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Ha... yes the mystery of the missing space. I remember when i use to look furiously at weher all my space went. Here's the answer, System Restore. by default system restore can occupy up to 12% of the hard drive and if i do my math correctly that will equal to about 9.6 gbs of storage on an 80 gb hd. you can turn off system restore (not advised, but i do it because i reinstall everytime something goes fubar.) or you can delete the old restore point and set the amoun of disk space for system restore to 2-4% that will free up some space on your hd.