Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts randomly

• Please log in to reply

arf

arf

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, i recently reformatted my whole drive because of virusus. Ever since then, however, i am having random restarts. Sometimes i would lose my screen and the monitor will turn black but sometimes the whole system restarts. This happens usually when i'm surfing the web and trying to scroll with my mouse. i also instantly get a restart once i start to play COD 2 united offensive single player. Before the reformat, my graphics card was overclocked. Im thinking it has something to do with my graphics card. thanks in advance for any reply.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start by re-installing the video card software, checking for updates

Checking the temperatures

arf

arf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have tried using all kinds of drivers, from the new beta forceware to the older forceware versions, i also tried the nvidia drivers.. but i still get the same problem. The temperatures is always fine.. its always in the high 40's.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error, either right away or later on when it normally would restart.

When you see it, report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.