Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Default Username + Password on Proxys?

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I, have recently set up firefox, and gAIM in school. I have set up the firefox browser to work with the school's proxy (as all connections tunnel to one main server), which is "proxy_server.domain.castleview" on port "8080". From the port 8080 I'm guessing this is a HTTP proxy. This is set up on firefox and works fine. I'm trying to set up gAIM on the same proxy (proxy_server.domain.castleview:8080), which I put in:

Server: proxy_server.domain.castleview
Port: 8080
Username:
Password:

On this proxy I know I dont have to enter a password (as I didn't need to on firefox). I don't know what the username or password could be. What is the default username and password?! - I've browsed the web and couldn't find it. I have also tried obvious stuff like "username + password" and "anonymous + password". Hopefully somebody knows!

Thanks for any help,

~Sam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the server doesn't have a username and password..you don't need to fill those areas in...if that doesn't work you may want to talk to your school's it people...they may have programs like that blocked....or they may have a special trick for you