Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Micro filters?

• Please log in to reply

Ronin_Jonny

Ronin_Jonny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
(I hope this is the right place to post this)

I haven't got a clue what is wrong with my internet, my best guess is the micro filters but even that is a bit odd so I shall just explain what is going on and hope someone can help.

The short story is recently my internet stopped working (I checked many things including micro filters, tiscali (my internet provider), damaged line.....). I have now got it so that the phone and internet are going through the same filter but the internet only stays on for about 30-60 min and then the only thing to bring it back is to change filter. I can't see how all filters are damaged (especially since they seem to work for a while then just cut out and one is new).

Symptoms (which do suggest to me to be micro filter):
Fuzzy/noisy phone line
Internet disconnects when on phone
Internet disconnects randomly
Internet Slow

Thanks
Jonny

Edited by Ronin_Jonny, 26 July 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
That's a frustrating problem Jonny. I'm on ADSL broadband as well, and have suffered similar problem myself which has settled down since buying a better quality filter (Belkin seem to be the best).

Of course, it may not be the filters at all, since physically disconnecting the line to fit a different filter may be sufficient in itself to restore your internet connection - even if you used the same filter -- I've seen that happen too.

One option is to have BT fit a new 'front plate' to your master socket which eliminates the need to use external filters anywhere. The adsl front plate incorporates it's own internal filter with a signal booster, and on the outside it has two sockets -- one for the phone and one for the DSL line. It cost me nothing to have this done, but then BT is my ISP as well as my phone-line provider. Not sure what their policy is if you have a third-party ISP.

Edited by pip22, 27 July 2006 - 12:01 AM.