Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steam Apps freezing

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have been playing Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source for a while now with no problems, however, they have started to freeze at random times. Sometimes in game, other times in menu, other times while loading. I can't get out unless I restart my computer. Can you please help me fix it?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
First off, do you have any Sypware protection programs, as well as protection for the rest of internet-borne nasties? You might want to post your HijackThis logfile in our malware section just to mka esure that you're clean. Now, how much RAM do you have? When did things start acting strange? Have you made any changes to the system recently? Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Which video card do you have?

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have ewido anti-malware, Windows Defender, Trend Micro PC-Cillin, and Spyware Doctor for viruses and spyware, and have not had any compatability issues with any of these programs. I have 1 stick of 1GB Ram. It started about five months ago and I can't remeber any significant changes I made at that time. The freezes also got worse and more frequent over time. I have an Nvidia 7800 GS (AGP) and updated the drivers within the last ten minutes, but have not tested them yet. I will post a HJT log in the Malware section in approx. 5 minutes.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Try with your updated drivers and get back with us. That might solve it by itself.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Considering how you stated that this started 5 months ago and has increasingly gotten worse I would think that your computer is just getting bogged down. If your HiJack log is clean and the drivers are up to date just try a simple Disk Cleanup and Defragmentation of your computer and see what happens.

Also use MemTest ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) to make sure that your RAM is still going strong.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
New video drivers didn't help, but they didn't make anything worse. Disk Cleanup and Defrag didn't do much, and I dont want to try memtest because everything else is working perfectly, it's only Steam games.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Dumb question but have you tried deleting Steam and reinstalling everything?

I know in Steam, if you right click the game and choose delete local content it will delete the game from Steam. Then reinstall it and see what happens.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
remove windows defender. It may not resolve the issue, but has been known to contribute to it. Since you are running ewido and pc cillin then you really don't need it. It is just eating resources.

what are your system specs? Have you verified your games files?

you may very well have to reinstall steam to resolve the issue.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Sorry for taking so long, I just got back from vacation. So, I uninstalled Steam, deleted all that was left over and reinstalled everything. No good. Also I do not want to remove Windows Defender because it has such a good guard program, so I got rid of ewido, which was acting odd anyways.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ewido is better than windows defender, isnt defender still in beta?

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It is still in beta but that's not the issue, can we please figure out how to stop my steam games from freezing?