Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should sign language be made more mainstream

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, we do have closed-captioning for the hearing impaired, so there is tv available for deaf people. Many movie theaters here are also starting to use technology in which dialogue is displayed on a small screen, so deaf people can go to the movies now also.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
"But I feel we are missing the point here, you can choose the speak as many languages as as you like but deaf peole can't and a little could go a long way to intergrate ones own citizens, for example I haven't seen one deaf TV channel." - fleamailman

Thank you for getting us back on track fleamailman. You are right. Many people believe they should make an effort to be multi-lingual but not sign. I think it is just as important, and a little effort could go along way.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
To be honest, I know far more people for whom English is not their first language then I know deaf people - we have one deaf family in our community that I have interaction with, and while I'd like to be able to communicate, I'd also like to be able to communicate with the mother of my daughter's Korean friend. I feel that like any foreign language, it is up to individuals to decide that they want to learn it. I don't think the problem is that it's not mainstream, I think it's that for most people, it's never been something they needed.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I think it should be a persons choice, but it should be just as available as other foreign languages. You can learn many languages in public school, but not sign. Its a choice but alot of times its not an option.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
On the back of the Australian "Yellow Pages" there is the letters of the alphabet in sign and a few basic keywords. An easy starting point for anybody who needs it.
I think Morse Code should be taught in schools before sign language. That's an invaluable form of an internationally recognised language.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I must agree. Good point, luckily my Boy Scouts took care of that for me, but it is definitely more recognized because each country has their own signs, so they are not completely universal. Not only that but the signs just across the US can change city to city and state to state.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

therefore I would think that this should be geared to people in their sixties,

Would it not be easier to learn sign at an early age. Most people at 60 would have a hard time of learning to sign.
To talk to deaf people you don't need to learn words. You can get by with spelling, some people can spell very very fast. The trick is to pratice in front of a mirror.

I CAN sign, but am too slow for anyone who uses signing a lot. I learned at 17 because I had a deaf friend.

Pratice in front of a mirror - deaf people don't care how slow you are.

I think Morse Code should be taught in schools before sign language. That's an invaluable form of an internationally recognised language.

A bit hard to do morse if you are deaf - yes I know you can do it with a light but what if you are deaf and blind ?
With sign you can still talk to a deaf and blind person.

Edited by peterm, 13 September 2007 - 01:54 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

it may be true that morse code is more "universal"...but it's DEFFINITELY less widely used than sign language....i mean...who uses morse code besides the navy anymore?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
bip bip beeeeep bip bip bip...

beeeeep beeeep bip bip....

uglymaggot

uglymaggot

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Dont you dare "beep" me FPVDriF6 (kidding :) )
but i think sign language should be taught in schools at least basics we dont know how many people it may help years later not all who are deaf are born deaf so who knows being unable to hear must be horrible although i can hear & do not know any deaf people i can only imagine how horrible & alone they must feel & beeping to people can get annoying.
If we could create a thing to type what is said (portable with a small screen kinda like a PSP thingy it would be cool) but we'd rather spend on useless stuff rather than something that may help people :)

off topic but did sarahw say people speak hindi :) in Suriname weird but cool :wave:

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

With sign you can still talk to a deaf and blind person.

A blind person might find it difficult to see your hands moving about.

Anybody seen the metallica film clip for "One". The guy is deaf, blind, mute and has no limbs. He comunicates through Mose Code.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
One has got to be an all-time classic, such a good song...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

A blind person might find it difficult to see your hands moving about.

deaf blind people will hold on to your hand while you sign...they can feel the standard signs and know exactly what you're saying

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Just out of curiosity, you all do realize this thread was over a year old when it was recently revived? Sarahw, a Metallica video is hardly a compelling argument for using Morse code. I do wonder how someone who is suffering from all the shortcomings you mentioned even uses Morse code - it's amazing what you can do in a video. Of course, The Who's Tommy, who is aka 'that deaf dumb and blind kid', could 'sure play a mean pinball'.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Of course, The Who's Tommy, who is aka 'that deaf dumb and blind kid', could 'sure play a mean pinball'.

:)