Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

messed up video in windows

• Please log in to reply

jeebstheman

jeebstheman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello

A computer of mine has a strange xp/video related problem. When you turn it on, it works fine. When the computer gets to the point where it displays the windows xp logo and the blue bar, the blue bar is messed up. It's like half the blue bar is there, and then it's rectangles of red that flash but it goes past where the bar would normally be. All [bleep] breaks loose from then on. Once it gets to the login screen, it's really messed up. There's blue and white solid lines going down the screen, the login screen behind it is like 640x480 with really messed up colors, and when you log in, it's the same. It's really hard to see icons and stuff. I tried a different video card, but it had similar graphic anomolies. It does this in safe mode also. What would you suggest I do?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked for recent video card software, or re-installed what you have

Has the monitor got a reset button

jeebstheman

jeebstheman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it has/had the most recent video card drivers and xp updates.

It's strange. Moving barely readable windows around and clicking barely readable icons, i was able to get to the add or remove programs, and i couldn't find the video drivers. When i pulled the nv card out and installed an ati one, it was "unable to install" the drivers. (at least that's what i'm pretty sure it said, it being very very hard to read.

it also does this with a newer monitor.

Edited by jeebstheman, 26 July 2006 - 06:08 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run what you can of this, post what you are unable to

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

jeebstheman

jeebstheman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
did not download and install tune up 2006 trial. I got up to that point. Still have the problem.

it is impossible to discern one icon from another. and if another window is open, then all is lost.

Edited by jeebstheman, 26 July 2006 - 09:00 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got onboard graphics, can you check they are disabled

If they are, can you remove the video card and enable the onboard ones

jeebstheman

jeebstheman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There's no onboard graphics.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an ATI Radeon Card

jeebstheman

jeebstheman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Originally, it had a geforce 4 ti 4600 in it. after this messed up, If i read correctly, the drivers vanished. I couldn't find them in the add/remove programs.

I swapped it out with a radeon 9550, and tried to install the drivers for that card, but if i read correctly, it was "unable to install" the drivers.

I'm really hoping that the mobo agp slot itself isn't heading south..

Edited by jeebstheman, 28 July 2006 - 02:03 PM.