Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Cannot open this file

• Please log in to reply

dixondo2

dixondo2

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is my first post and I hope there is someone out there who can get me out of a mess!

I was trying to install an application from a disc ( I later realised the application was already installed). Up pops a message from Ad Aware to advise me that this application was trying to alter the registry - I clicked an option -obviously the wrong one -because now when I click on a program on my desktop or my programmes I receive a pop up ' windows cannot open this file'. I cannot download, "My computer" does not respond, neither does configuration panel etc I cannot Add/ remove programs. I suspect ad Aware is the culprit.

If I reinstall Windows XP will I lose any of my stuff already installed? Maybe this will not help if it leaves Ad Aware as is

Do not Panic

If anybody has had the same problem who could help me I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Keith,
Thanks your help.
I have been right through the System Restore Utility -going back to a restore point two days ago. Unfortunately it does not work. At first I thought it was going to be OK as Desktop Icons came back but this is the only thing that did come back the rest is as before. Anyway the decktop items soon faded and the little white squares came up.
It seems that you are up at 4am in England - I hope I am not keeping you up! Here in Canada it is after 11pm and I am going to bed. Maybe you or somebody else has something else I can try. Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Keith for your detailed reply.

All went well until I get to your advice to run disc defragmenter when up comes 'Windows cannot open this file' etc.

Should I continue with sfc\scannow nevertheless?

Pleased you are there

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run sfc /scannow to see how it reacts

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Keith,

I tried to run sfc /scannow and up it came again 'windows cannot open this file .......'

Hang in there

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Keith (or any other member who has a suggestion).............

I have been to another site <www.askbobbrankin.com - Windows cannot open this file> where there is a poor sod who has the same problem as I do. Unfortunately the replies do not offer much more help. One person does say that Windows is being denied access to the registry via the Ad Aware program but the advice is to uninstall AdA in Safe Mode but this does not work - same message WCOTF.

One reply says that he solved the problem by going to <geeks to go.com/forum/that -EXE-and-LNK-files-t47277.html> Post #6. Since I am new to the site, I have not been able to find this post. Any offers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...les-t47277.html this may be the thread of which they speak

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How do you get on if you run the repair install, a couple of hours work, but probably as quick as looking for another solution

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

http://www.geekstogo...les-t47277.html this may be the thread of which they speak

Thanks your reply. I have followed the instructions in this thread but without success. It did however stop the 'Windows cannot open' pop ups but I still cannot get into my programmes or control panel. I must say I am not at ease when I get into editing the registry - past experience has made me nervous!

I have been right through the XP Repair/Install process as suggested by Keith and incredibly the problem is still there.

I am now thinking I will have to Reinstall XP (not click the repair option). However I will not do that until next week when hopefully I will have a comment or suggestion from you or Keith. I also want to get a message off to Lavasoft (Ad Aware) - they surely know something about the problem even if they do not know how to fix it - they will probably tell me the solution is in an update that I have not installed.

I had a virus that wiped out everything a couple of years ago - At the time I thought it was a disaster but surprisingly -life goes on.

Have a good weekend

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

How do you get on if you run the repair install, a couple of hours work, but probably as quick as looking for another solution

Keith,

See my reply to dsenette. I Have been through the repair install process (including updates) but nothing works. I think I am going to have to go back to Point Zero. I will wait a few days in case somebody comes up with something.

I would be interested in your comments, suggestions.

Thanks again - I am learning a lot.

Regards

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Keith,dsenette,

I have been to the Lavasoft forum and 'Calamity Jane' has confirmed that the problem arose from Ad Aware- when I introduced the software into the computer and AdAware advised me that my registry was being altered I should have 'allowed' the alterations. By Blocking them I lost some of my default file associations. As it happens all the associations I have lost are with lnk (linkfiles) and CalJ has put me on on to a Doug Knox site where there is a list of File Association Fixes. It means tampering with the registry which I am loath to do but I am going to do it anyway. I shall however do a little reading up on registrys before I start. For the benefit of others on the site who have the same problem I will let you know how I get on. Thanks

dixondo2

dixondo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Keith and Dsennette,

Well I am pleased to say I am back in business. Went into the registry and checked the associations for Exe, Com and lnk files. I still had problems - could not get into most of my programs from the desktop. But on web site "FILext" they suggested I try Folder Options- File types and insert EXE = Applications and LNK = shortcuts - this did the trick and all fell into place. So I have reinstalled Ad Aware but "Beware of AdAware" is one of the things I have learned (the hard way) over the last two days.

Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know