Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable Connection Keeps freezing for short period of time

• Please log in to reply

molesses

molesses

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
my cable connection keeps freezing up for about 20 to 40 seconds every once in awhile. I called my ISP and they say the connection is fine, I even looked in the control panel->internet connections and saw that my connection was never interupted (even after a bunch of freezes, it showed the connection was on for over a day).

my ISP told me that it was my router, so I bought a new router. does not fix the problem.

I've tried hooking the modem right to my pc (using different cables), it still freezes.

I did a HiJackThis log and posted it on this site and no one ever replied to it (its been 2 days).

I'm completely out of ideas! this is really ruining my gaming

help please!

moles

ps: you guys are awesome!

Edited by molesses, 26 July 2006 - 09:13 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You say you've been plugging the modem into different places, but I want to talk to you about power. Turn off the computer, and unplug both the router and the modem for about 30 seconds. Now, restore power only to the router. Wait about 30 seconds, and then connect the modem power. Wait another 30 or so seconds, and make sure that all of your ready lights (if applicable) are lit and ready, and then power back on the computer and see if anything helped. Sometimes the modem needs a break. My whole network went out earlier today as a matter of fact, and restarting the modem fixed everything. Good luck :whistling:

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've restarted my modem, many times, along with the router and my PC. the guy I talked to on the phone who works for my ISP told me how to do it.

power is an interesting idea where the problem may be. this has been happening all summer, and the AC has been on. the problem got better a few days ago, AC was off, it was cooler outside. now the AC is back on and i have been having more problems. maybe its just a coincidence.