Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

F11

• Please log in to reply

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I pressed that and it deleted my files. It said it would not do it full. So are they gone?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an HP computer?

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't know about computers. All I know is that I have Windows XP. I pushed F11 after it kept restarting. It said it would do a recovery. I didn't do full recovery. I did the other ones. I do virus scans right now and it has more files. Also my computer has more used memory. So I think they are hidden somewhere. I just cannot find it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If I do that and choose a date, everything will return to the way it was on that day? I got a virus like three weeks ago. So if I choose a month before, does it keep the virus?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go for something recent and deal with the virus later

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was not able to do it. I messed up my computer on July 16th. When I tried to look for the last checkpoint, it only went up to July 16th (after I already pressed F11). So how do I do this? :whistling:

crash91

crash91

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think the system restore checkpoint was deleted as well. There are many file recovey programs out there, a google search on those should show up some good programs. (im too lazy to try it myself :whistling: ). Try some of these out. If they dont work, im afraid i dont know how to help recover you files. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this, though the files have probably been wiped beyond recovery

http://www.pcinspect.../UK/welcome.htm

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It was looking. It took me an hour to search a million places. There was 381 million places to search from. It would take 12 days non stop to search. It's too long. When I pressed F11 to restart the thing, it said it would save a lot of files. So they should be saved.

Vladimir Lukashenko

Vladimir Lukashenko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I really hate to annoy, but I really need help. I checked my C drive and this came up:

Posted Image

So I know there are still things in there. It's taking up space and I have nothing that big. I know that they are in my computer saved, but I just don't know how to get them back.

Also, when I used safe mode, there was an Administrator account on top of the one I use to log into the computer. When I use it normal, the Administrator one doesn't appear.

But right now, I am more worried in getting my files back.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open my documents, click tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files, click apply

Double click local disc C then right click each folder, click properties, wait a minute then add the totals, also, right click all the folders then click explore to see what is in there