Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with game design

• Please log in to reply

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
hi i am in high school and about to graduate and i was planning on gettin into game design, so i was wondering if anyone has a some links about graphic design, c++ programming, 3d modeling, physic engines, etc, to help me on my way to becoming one, also does anyone have any game design software that i can download to help me get familiar with this, thanx for the help

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Game designers will generally make there own software from scratch these days to make games at least the big houses do. If you want to get into it i would reccomend going to uni or college and enroll in a game design or computer science/informatics course with some sort of arty subject as your minor.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
they should teach me everything i need to know? could you recommend a good college

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Not sure of any cheap ones but I know Full Sail down in Florida is a kick [bleep] place to learn anything gaming. The downside, you have to sell a freakin' kidney to pay for it. (I think game design, which was my initial major, was near $50k a year :whistling: )

EDIT: Hooray, 500 posts!

Edited by BlackPandemic, 28 July 2006 - 10:14 PM.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
whoa that is alot, w would you happen to know of any programs that cater to this, i heard from a friend that you can get a book and cd rom that shows you how to make games, the cd rom i guess has the same engine that marble blast runs on, so if any one knows about any other books or cds, let me know thanx

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
game design encompasses a lot. here is a list of courses that devry offers in their "games and similation" program: http://devry.edu/pro...ing/courses.jsp

as to programing, if you start with c++, then you can easily learn other languages. 3dmax and photoshop are also important as they are used heavily to design the graphics for the game.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you have a Steam account using the Hammer editor and the model creator (Can't remember it's name) are good intros to level and model design. I made a couple CS:Source maps that came out decent.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok cool ill be sure to check those out i picked up game programming kit for teens which is all beginner stuff and it came with visual basic tutorials

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
This topic made me think of getting software that allows you to make games and stuff go to COMPUSA they have some game creating software there that I may buy

anyone know of any good software for game design?

Edited by Vision, 30 July 2006 - 08:17 AM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I took visual basic classes in high school but my teacher sucked so all I learned was how to make a freakin' tic tac toe game :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Vision,

It depends on what kind of game you want to create. learning java and c++ are great places to start. You can also learn flash and shockwave. There are plenty of games that use the above softwares.

photoshop and 3dmax are used to create textures and game environments/modles, ect. you could start with gimp as that is useds as well.

starting out I would recomend picking up a game like cod2 or one of the half life games and start learning to use the built in editors (called sdk's, often released a few months after the initial release). That way you can create custom maps and environments. you could get into unreal tournoment 2004. In addition to maps you can do mutators and a few other things. There is an abundance of info on ut2k4.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
the main reason i want a program is to get into game design or graphic design as a career, so the games i would like to create console and computer games, i have been look into colledges but i would like a program so i can see if thats really what i want to get in to before i spend alot of money on school

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
so that would be more c++ right?

Edited by unearth203, 31 July 2006 - 03:29 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
yes unearth. there is more to it of course, but c++ is one of those things that forms the basis for everything else. good place to start.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Unearth:

I'm going into school as a graphic designer come this fall. All you need for that is a liberal arts school or something similair. Game design however, is a specialty and not every college has that as a major. Colleges that do tend to be quite pricey as well.

For graphic design, sad to say a lot of the best stuff I've done has been on my Mac computer using programs like Fireworks and Illustrator.