Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So im a bit curious.

• Please log in to reply

Odge

Odge

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its not really a big deal but on my old computer theres a problem with my cd drive where it keeps opening and closing.The drive itself actually still reads CD's, but as soon as you turn on power to the computer the thing starts opening and closing.What could be the cause of this? Its not spyware,before you go and think that, Ive installed a new OS on that computer after it started doing that,and even got it to stop doing it for a while after I took it apart and put it back together one time.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like...opening and closing on a loop? like...repeatedly open close open close open close open close? how old is it? when you "took it apart" how far did you take it apart? were you able to look at the drive gears for the tray? it may be jamming somewhere

Odge

Odge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah its kinda on a loop.Like it does it CONSTANTLY.As soon as you switch the computer on it will open close open close open close and continue over and over.I have to unplug it just to stop it...As for the how old it is,its pretty old..ok really old,but it just started doing it out of no where one day.Yeah I just looked at the drive gears,its not getting stuck anywhere or anything, but I did notice that before it opens it jumps around a lot making a noise that sounds like a printer printing,then it opens and closes constantly.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
may be time to just replace it... especially if all you want is a reader...or maybe time for an upgrade to a writer or a dvd....usually this is a hardware issue...

you could also try moving the drive to either a different IDE cable...or to a different position on the same IDE cable and see if it still does it...if it does..i'd say it's the drive dying...