Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi im currently doing up my computer trying to create a fairly strong gaming rig and i thought the first thing ill buy is a new cpu, but im not sure to go Intel P4 or AMD.Another problem is im not sure what to look for or specs in components in a cpu that i should be aiming for.
My current MOB is a Asus P4S800-MX is that a good enough MOB?
My budget is cheap but can be stretched on important parts.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all what CPU are you running at the moment???

and if you want to keep that motherboard you cant go to AMD unless you want to buy a new motherboard at the moment with that motherboard you are restricted to socket 478

look on www.newegg.com fopr some CPU's there are a few there pick some out and we will help narrow it down with you

troppo

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well at the moment my cpu is a Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz Northwood Hyper Threading.

Is my current motherboard any good??