Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!Can't format

• Please log in to reply

Siddd666

Siddd666

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I'm in a bit of a pickle here,
My computer has been handed it's own [bleep] by adware, and I have tried cleaning it with everything, firewalls/the lot. I have tried to manually clean it but only ended up making things worse, so iv'e decided to format the entire drive and reinstall windows fresh. No worries right? wrong....

I inserted the windows xp cd and clicked on 'install' and it copied the setup files to hdd and then restarted to boot the rest of the setup process, Unfortunatly it never gives me the option to format, only to delete the entire partition, okay, I can do that.....When I try to delete the partition It says it's in use or somthing.....So i Believe my first mistake was installing the copy-files whilst still in windows and then letting it restart to do the rest....And i can't delete the partition now becasue the copy files are on the partition......Now I cannot find a single way to format my computer at all:( I have tried booting into dos/booting into dos 6.22 with cd rom support, The windows xp cd never boots anymore on startup, and I am completely lost.

I am at my wits end and any advice would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Siddd666, try this,
Set your PC's boot order to boot from the CD first. This is done in BIOS.
On most PCs and laptops, entering BIOS requires you to hit F1, F2 or Del

After your PC is setup to boot from the CD-Rom first, place your
Windows XP CD in try and reboot your computer.

Windows setup will begin

you can find it all here
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101068

Siddd666

Siddd666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Your reply is much appreciated, cheers.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip