Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer hangs during POST bootup, in between dual core check

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I recently moved 1600 miles and after setting up my desktop, I was happy to see that my computer would run fine. However, starting last night (a couple days in from the move), my computer starting hanging during the POST test after a necessary software reboot.

I have a dual-core processor, and it detects the first core, then the computer locks up, and I have to unplug the power cord to turn it off. I hear an odd sound, but I do not know what the sound is coming from, nor what would cause the computer to hang during the boot up.

My specs are:
Motherboard: Biostar TForce4U-775
Processor: Intel Pentium D 940 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 3 x 200 gb 7200rpm (C:\ SATA, D:\; E:\ IDE)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100134L Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [C000]
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.051019-1519)

My main questions are:
What could possible cause my computer to hang in between checking the two processor cores? As I said, one shows, but the computer locks up before showing the other.
What is the best way to isolate the problem? I suppose unhooking everything that isn't necessary and going from there.
Is it possible for one of the cores to die while the other is intact?

Just some other notes:
I can not get into BIOS, can not get to the safe mode dialog, etc etc.
Nothing strange happened before this all happened. I was in the middle of reinstalling a new set of video drivers and had rebooted a couple times. The power was cut off once by accidently hitting a switch on the wall I didn't know connected the computer.
I had recently plugged in a DVI cable from my pc ot my new LCD screen, but I dont see how that'd be an issue.

Any and all help is appreciated;)

Edited by mith36, 27 July 2006 - 06:42 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
As weird as this is, it seems that one of my USB ports was causing the hang. I recently moved my usb cords around and realized that one of them was causing the hanging. I have plenty of other ports so I'm fine, but why would this cause a problem?