Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

urapxfzy421

urapxfzy421

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so i originally had 2 80G hard drives in my computer, one with windows and programs and such, and the other with all of my files, music, pictures, vidoes. About a week or two ago my main hard drive (windows hd) died. Apparently it had a bad sector or something, but whatever it was it wldn't boot from it. As disappointed as i was about losing some of the data that was on there, i was more worried about getting my computer working again, so i set to work on that. Luckily i had just gotten a 250G hard drive for someone else that it turned out they couldn't use, so i had it lying around. Using another computer, i moved all of the files from my healthy 80G to the 250G and formatted the 80G. I then put the newly reformatted 80G back into my computer and reinstalled windows with everything working fine. Now here comes the problem. The 250G is an SATA hard drive, and it turns out that my computer doesn't have SAT cables because it is over 3 years old. I remedied this by buying a USB->SATA conversion cable that plugs into a rear USB port on my computer. This worked great for the first two days, but yesterday i was trying to download a large file, so i left my computer alone, and for some reason it decided to restart the device, just like disconnect and reconnect, but in this time it messed up the dl because it had nowhere to go. I already set up this drive to have a permanent letter and an active partition on it, but i was wondering if there was any way to keep it from restarting like this. I could always dl to the other drive and then move files afterwards, but that is rather inconvenient especially with large files.
Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you could always get an internal sata card (there are pci sata controllers that would allow you to have the drive as a permanent internal drive) if this is going to be a permanent drive...

also when the drive is plugged in...right click on my computer > manage > device manager > expand the usb section > find the usb root hub that the drive is plugged into (or do this on all of them..it won't hurt anything) > right click > properties > power management tab > untick the "allow computer to turn this device off to save power" box..and press apply

urapxfzy421

urapxfzy421

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i thought about getting an internal card, but i actually don't have any more open PCI slots, and i also thought about an internal ide->SATA adapter, but i've heard that some of them don't work when the drive is a slave which this one would be. I will try the power management thing right now. It has actually been going all morning without restarting, but who knows, its weird. Maybe when its not being used as much or something it decides to turn off. Anyhow, i will try what u said and post results.