Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR 8x AGP DVI TV-Out

• Please log in to reply

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,
I have a MSI nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR 8x AGP DVI TV-Out It has a tv out port and i was wondering if a can connect a normal freeview box for a tv to it and get tv on my pc. Also is there any otherway i can get tv on my pc with out buying a tv box designed for a pc.
Thanks Michael

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Well, the TV-out part will let you put your pc screen on a tv, but there's no way to get tv into your computer without a tuner card.

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok what parts and bits do i need to connect my pc to a tv

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Do you want your pc displayed on the tv, or be able to watch tv on your pc. I'm not sure of what you are asking.

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i want to put my pc screen on the tv

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You card has an S-Video out, so you'll need an S-Video cable. Just connect the card to the TV and put the TV on the appropriate input. You just have to make sure you have a TV with an S-Video input. You can also get an S-Video to RCA (the yellow tiped cable) converter, but you'll lose quality.

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is what i have bought is it the same as a MSI nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR 8x AGP DVI TV-Out

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yup, the black circle plug in the back is the S-video out. Just get an s-video cable and you can hook your tv up to your computer.

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
any idea of installing a video card. I have the drivers and have not yet placed the card inside. Do i need to install the driver before placing the card inside. Please can i have step by step instructions. I would be very gratefull. Thanks

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Here's the process:
  • uninstall the drivers for your current video card
  • turn off computer and remove the old video card
  • install the new video card
  • turn the computer on and install the drivers
You can get the manual and drivers here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=444&kind=2

I would suggest reading though the manual to see if there are any gotchas though. It should be a pretty simple affair.

Michael Da Pc Geek

Michael Da Pc Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi,
i have the nonitor plug straight into the motherboard and not a seperate video card. is it the same. or do i have 2 do something different.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You may have to enter the system bios and disable the onboard video before you can use the. You will still uninstall the current video drivers, but you'll have to check to see if you need to disable onboard video first.

To enter BIOS, you tap something like the DEL, F2, ESC, or some other key when a mesage that says something like "Press DEL to enter setup..." All motherboards are different, and if you don't see the message, just try different keys until you find it. Once you are in the BIOS use the arrow keys to look for something like "Onboard video." If that option exists, set it to "Disable" or something similar if you need to. Then you exit BIOS, saving the settings, and turn off the computer. Install the video card, etc.

If you don't see a setting for onboard video, your mobo may automatically detect a video card and use that instead of the onboard graphics.