Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled Advant-no browser works now!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I uninstalled Advant Browser. Tried to make Firefox as my browser. Nothing. I even tried to make another browser my default and again it says it is, but when I click on any desktop Icon, a printer option window opens. I remember having this same problem with Advant a few years ago, however, when I recently installed it, I forgot I had that problem before. I saw something about Advant's latest version on Download.com and decided to try it.

Can someone help me out of this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you reinstall advant? does the issue go away? how did you uninstall it?

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

what happens if you reinstall advant? does the issue go away? how did you uninstall it?

I used an uninstall program. What I think I need is something to reassociate my desktop icons to the new browser. I remember a couple of years ago having this happen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried reinstalling advant...it may be as simple as reinstalling it...making it the default browser...if that makes everything else work...then BEFORE you uninstall it...make I.E. your default browser...then uninstall advant...then you can make firefox the default if you like

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

have you tried reinstalling advant...it may be as simple as reinstalling it...making it the default browser...if that makes everything else work...then BEFORE you uninstall it...make I.E. your default browser...then uninstall advant...then you can make firefox the default if you like

I will try that now. I will post the results.

Mark

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I tried reintsalling Advant and still the desktop icons will not. I just tried to make IE my default and it says OK, but then when I click onto any desktop icon, a window opens up offering printer options. I even used a small program called SetBrowser and that did not work.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I might add that when going to links within webpages I manually place the URL in, the default browser, which is now IE, opens with no problems. It only with the desktop icons.

Mark

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
on a side note, you may want to try, if you have a valid copy of windows xp installed .... go to this link and try out the new IE Beta 7, it is pretty secure like mozilla and has an anti phish feature... it may fix your problem if you install this. http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

NOTE: you must have SERVICE PACK 2 installed for that. Its a nice new IE, has tabs and all that. anyways, give it a shot..., better to have some browser than no browser...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your XP disk?

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

do you have your XP disk?

No.

Mark

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

on a side note, you may want to try, if you have a valid copy of windows xp installed .... go to this link and try out the new IE Beta 7, it is pretty secure like mozilla and has an anti phish feature... it may fix your problem if you install this. http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

NOTE: you must have SERVICE PACK 2 installed for that. Its a nice new IE, has tabs and all that. anyways, give it a shot..., better to have some browser than no browser...

It already says I have IE 7. The problem is only with the desktop icons. If I go to Programs, Firefox, Slmibrowser, IE, all come up and work. It is just that I cannot get my shortcuts to work. Everytime I click onto one, I get a small window offering printing options. I am enclosing that captured screen picture.
[attachment=9883:attachment]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on an icon on your desktop...what is the option in BOLD?

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
PRINT is the option in bold

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=743354

it sounds like all your file associations have been set to default to a printing command... an easily fixed flaw in uninstalling some programs...

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=743354

it sounds like all your file associations have been set to default to a printing command... an easily fixed flaw in uninstalling some programs...

I went to the above, but was not sure what to do once I went to that window, so I decided to go to system restore and restored everything to the way it was yesterday. Now the desktop shortcuts are working. But I really don't care for this Advant Browser, and yet if I try and uninstall it, I will end up with the same problem. Also, I forgot to mention this: Now that Advant is my default browser, if I go and make Firefox, IE, or Slimbrowser my default (by manually opening them and saying yes to the default window that pops up) browser, I click YES and still once I close that window and again click onto a desktop shortcut, Advant still opens up even though I had made another browser my default.