Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP: Desktop Icons won't work.

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I uninstalled Advant Browser. Tried to make Firefox as my browser. Nothing. I even tried to make another browser my default and again it says it is, but when I click on any desktop Icon, a printer option window opens. I remember having this same problem with Advant a few years ago, however, when I recently installed it, I forgot I had that problem before. I saw something about Advant's latest version on Download.com and decided to try it.

I have changed my default browser to first IE and then Firefox. Both worked when I clicked onto URL's within pages, but neither will work with the desktop Icons.

Can someone help me out of this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Delete the non-working IE icon. navigate to the file C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Right-click the file and choose "Send To Desktop (create shortcut)"

Delete non-working Firefox icon. navigate to the file C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
As for your other desktop icons, its sounds to me like when you removed the Advant, it took away possible file extensions that Advant was in control of...

For example, if you have a picture named mygirlfriend.jpg and when you open it, it opens in Advant, this means Advant handles that file type...

However if that was not the case, then when you removed advant, it uninstalled and took a windows file with it or somehow messed up which programs in your windows open which extensions... i have seen this happen before...

You can test this also by trying the following...
However dont mess with it if you dont know what you are doing :whistling:...

Posted Image

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Delete the non-working IE icon. navigate to the file C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Delete non-working Firefox icon. navigate to the file C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

I guess I was not clear when I explained my problem. It is not the Browser Icon(s) that are not working, it is all the shortcuts to Internet sites I saved on my desktop. In the past, as in this a.m. before I deleted Advant Browser, I just double-clicked onto any desktop Icon and whichever browser I had opened to that Internet site. Now, when I do that, I just get a window offering Printer Options, not matter which browser I use, the desktop Icons will not work with any of them. I have enclosed a captured pic of the window I see when trying to open a shortcut.

Mark[attachment=9885:attachment][attachment=9885:attachment]

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I guess I was not clear when I explained my problem. It is not the Browser Icon(s) that are not working, it is all the shortcuts to Internet sites I saved on my desktop. In the past, as in this a.m. before I deleted Advant Browser, I just double-clicked onto any desktop Icon and whichever browser I had opened to that Internet site. Now, when I do that, I just get a window offering Printer Options, not matter which browser I use, the desktop Icons will not work with any of them. I have enclosed a captured pic of the window I see when trying to open a shortcut.

Mark[attachment=9885:attachment][attachment=9885:attachment]

Another thing. When I go to my desktop and right-click any shortcut I've made, PRINT is the first thing Bold. See enclosed pic. If that is not correct, how do I change it to what it should be?
[attachment=9888:attachment]