Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD drivers missing

• Please log in to reply

computernewbie

computernewbie

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I had some problems with my computer(multi-boot problems) so I deleted and created a partition and reformated and installed Win 98 on computer since my XP disk is supposedly missing a file....I have another XP disk that works but my computer can't read it or any other CD, yet XP disk works fine on my other two computers...... My computer that drive D doesn't work on is a Compaq Presario 5400US and I would greatfully appreciate it if anyone could direct me to a site for correct drivers.....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
um...you do know that by the microsoft EULA you're allowed to install on XP only ONE time per cd key right? how many computers have these disks been used on that are currently operating with xp?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
none....the disk was bought from a neighbor still unopened in box....he decided to get a Mac instead......but all my computer CAN READ the disk, but this one can't...the CD drive is a Philips CDD4851

Edited by computernewbie, 27 July 2006 - 11:49 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
how are you trying to install windows on this computer?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I've tried to boot from CD and also to start CD from My Computer with no progress.......

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
does the computer have a floppy drive?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Also when I try to boot from CD nothing happens so I used a startup floppy with CD-ROM support and typed setup.exe and it said error reading DRIVE E abort,retry,failed? Well shouldn't it say error reading DRIVE D???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
the boot disks will generally use E for the cdrom (not sure why)

do you have another cdrom that you could put into this computer to see if that will make a difference?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have 1 disk for XP that came with a computer I used to have that worked on this computer before, but now it says when it gets to about 50% of installation that some file like "perc2" or something is missing.....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
no...an actual cd-rom drive is what i mean..not the xp disk

Advertisements

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
um...no....but on MS-DOS prompt I type E: and it says invalid drive specification, I type D: error reading drive, On my XP disk that used to work but a file is missing, it starts up correctly....Is there any program that can copy and transfer my files from one computer to this one, without taking them off other computer???

Edited by computernewbie, 27 July 2006 - 12:23 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
....oooookkk... go to http://dban.sourceforge.net and follow the instructions for making their bootable disk...run it at least once (twice would be nice)...this will wipe EVERYTHING from your hd...now try your xp cd

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm not a computer expert like you, but what will wiping my hd do??
Also what would cause my XP CD that used to work perfect now read missing file perc2 at about 50% of installation???

Edited by computernewbie, 27 July 2006 - 01:00 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
there could somehow be a corruption on the HD that would be causing it to be looking for that file in the wrong place...

the program i suggested above will remove EVERYTHING from your hd..giving you a clean bed to start from...sometimes this will help an install along

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
um....wiping my hd didn't do anything.....but at least I didn't have anything important on it.....How would I fix my WIndows XP CD that says file is missing or how would I fix my hard drive if it is corrupt....if that's possible...

Edited by computernewbie, 28 July 2006 - 10:41 AM.