Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slave drive not seen in "My Computer"

• Please log in to reply

jl2

jl2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
my friend had a bad motherboard, i took hard drive out of that computer & installed as slave drive in another computer (important data on this drive). Everything was fine, master dive was "C", CD Rom Drive was "D" & slave drive was "E". We opened up "E" drive & saw data. My friend takes computer home & formats "C" drive & installs XP Pro (it had XP Home) & against my advice loaded Symantic's "Go Back" software. Some how when he did all these things "My Computer" lost "E" drive. He brought it back to me & i checked it out. CMOS sees slave drive, Disk manager sees slave drive as healthy & active but did not assign it a drive letter & the option to change drive letter is faded out. I took slave drive out & installed in my computer to check it (which my computer has a functioning slave drive in, but i swapped them for test) & got excatly same results as in his computer. As i said before, my friend has important data on this drive which we now can not access. any suggestions?

thanks,
jl2

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you right click on the drive in disk manager is there an option to "initialize"

jl2

jl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no, the only option available is to "delete partion" & we can't do that