Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PCMCIA Card Driver Won't Install

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi All,
I went to live chat yesterday because I was having trouble installing the driver for a PCMCIA 10/100 Card to enable my cousin upstairs to use my LAN.

The Card was installed but Device Manager said that the Hardware was Not Available. When I tried to install the Driver from a floppy I kept getting a prompt to Insert the Windows 98 SE Disk. After inserting the disk I got an error message saying the file could not be found.

When I went to reboot the computer I got a DOS Promt saying:

CANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE that may be needed to run a Windows Application
The Windows Registry or SYSTEM.INF refers to this Device File but the device file no longer exsists

Then I get a similar message and the prompt:

Finally one last message and the prompt:

I hit any key to continue to boot the computer.

The last Window I get before Windows Boots is:

The Dynamic Link Library

msnP32.dll cannot be found

Any Ideas about how to get the network card working and the registry cleared?

Thanks in Advance. I appreciate the help and level of expertise I've become accustomed to on this web site

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

This is a common problem with 98. The files in question are not necessarily missing or corrupted but they may have become 'unbound' in the registry due to the failed NIC installation.

First thing to try is this :
Control panel->Network
Remove 'Client for Microsoft Networks'.
Go back to Control panel - Network & click 'Add' -> Client -> Microsoft -> Client for Microsoft Networks.
(You may need to insert your Win98 CD). Reboot the system when prompted.

This will reinstall Client for MS Networks which 'should', with any luck, resolve the problem.

Asides from that, what is the pcmcia NIC you're trying to install? (i.e Manufacturers Name & model?)

Also, are you certain the laptop doesnt already have a NIC built into it? Its very unusual these days to find a laptop without an integrated NIC.

Edited by Samm, 27 July 2006 - 07:22 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Samm,
I tried un and re installing Client for Microsoft Networks. I got a Message saying:

THE SPECIFIED LOCATION does not contain information about your hardware.

The Network adapter is a:

Sohoware 10mbps 10/100 PCMCIA model # NDS120-E A

I still have a problem booting. I have to clear 3 errors before 98 loads

Edited by hogan, 28 July 2006 - 12:08 PM.