Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a USB Drive

• Please log in to reply

Richardb02

Richardb02

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I bought a USB drive to save spreadsheets and word documents that I have created. This drive came with no instructions, LG Electronics UBVB1GB. Can someone give me a tutorial? Thank you. I have looked through the forum and tried LG's website.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....what kind of instructions are you wanting? usb HD's tend to be plug and play....have you tried using it yet?

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, I plug it in and I can find it. What is a good procedure for getting files onto the drive? What is a good procedure if I want to remove the file(s) from my PC as opposed to leaving the fiels on my PC. Thank you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok that's a better question...well you can save files there when creating them (like when you create a new word document...when you do the save as...choose the usb drive to save it to), for already made files, you can do this two ways...

open up windows explorer (either press teh windows key and the letter e at the same time...OR...right click on the start button and choose explore) and left click a file and drag it to the drive...OR right click..drag to the drive and select "move here"...that will remove the file from your internal harddrive and put it on the usb one

if you want the file to stay in both places...right click the file and drag it to the usb drive..and choose "copy here"

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Great. All of that works for me. Now what is the easiest way to use information from the USB Drive? Does it make sense to use a USB drive for backup? If so what is a good procedure? If not, what is the better way? Are there other "Window Keys"? Thank you again.

Edited by Richardb02, 27 July 2006 - 02:17 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...to access the info you can open it straight from the drive...or copy the files over or whatever you want to do

you can use those drives for backup..using whatever backup method you prefer

the windows key is a key on some keyboards that has the windows logo on it...it's for windows shortcuts (windows +e = explorer, windows + F = file search, etc...)

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you very much. I just need to do it. Richard