Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Hard Drive Bad

• Please log in to reply

jermlove

jermlove

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently built a new computer with entirely new parts and installed my old hard drive as a slave. I have files in My Documents that I really need to get to, but I don't even remember what I named the computer when I installed Windows on that hard drive. The hard drive refuses to boot on its own, so I am assuming that the boot sector is screwed up.

It reads fine as a secondary drive or even booting up when I have a second drive with Windows already installed. Unfortunately it still boots up using the second drive's registry information for Windows, so I still can't access My Documents.

My roommate keeps telling me I can mount the drive and rip the RAW data but he doesn't know how to do it. Can someone help me in my quest to retrieve my lost information so I can reformat my old hard drive without losing my precious data?
:tazz: me

Advertisements

jermlove

jermlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've also tried booting up in Safe MODE and as the Adminstrator. Neither of these helped.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
questions:

did your old drive ever work as a slave?
does your new computer boot up?