Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swiping without losing Data?

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well, I've come to the conclusion that all else has failed when attempting to fix the computer without having to swipe my computer and start with a clean slate...So, I was wondering if it's possible to somehow keep all of my files in My Documents on the computer without having to do anything to them? I've tried zipping/compressing the files and sending them to myself through email, plan failed. I've tried copying them to CD's, plan pretty much failed.
I have no CD's to my computer to fix the computer that way so on startup I've hit F10 and received this message and this will be the method I'll use to fix my computer:
'The system recovery program, in this normal default mode of operation, recovers applications, drivers and the opreating system to their factory-shipped condition. Accordingly, after System Recovery finishes, ytou need to re-install and reconfigure any applications that you installed yourself (including upgrades or revisions to the factory-shipped version of any application.
Howeverm the System Recovery, in this normal default mode of operation, will not delete any DATA files you have created.'

So, guys, is it possible?

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I'd be wary of what the disk does, but it claims to only restore the system to the original state. It SHOULD leave your documents alone, but I'd back them up anyway.

I'm curious, why couldn't you back up you Documents folder to a CD? How big is the folder?

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
What do you mean by "back them up"? So you think it may be possible to do this procedure and not lose the files? It's so risky though....these files are very very important to me.

And my folder is 4.20 GB so of course it won't fit on a cd.

Edited by ILoveDaniel, 27 July 2006 - 04:18 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes, a little big there.

You can use WinBackup to back up your data to several CDs. It will span the data to several disks, so you will need about 7 CDs to fit all the data. But you will at least know that the data is safe.

Here's the link:

http://www.backupanswers.com/freewinbackup/

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
If you don't mind, could you tell me what to do. I'm looking at this page and I'm downloading it but I don't exactly know what it does. Do I need to use System Recovery and swipe everything and then download this tool or....what? I'm so confused.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
When you run the program for the first time, it will come with a tutorial. Read the steps carefully, and just go through them when you make your back up. Also, if you take the tour on the website, you can go through all the steps and read more info about what to do.

Basically, you'll make a 'job,' pick the files you want to back up, pick where to save them to, change a couple options (maybe), and back it up. It's pretty easy to use and the in program help should answer the questions that you have.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Okay, so I just do all of this stuff BEFORE I even think about using System Recovery?

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alrighty, thanks so much. I'll get back to you possibly after I finish downloading this and read all of the stuff.