Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Cleanup Processes & Startups

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi all, couple of issues if I may.

I am cleaning up a clients slow running PC, usual problem too many processes (57) and just hit a record 90 Critical objects using Adaware :whistling: dialers loggers etc??

The client has updated Norton AV and has Adawre on his system but never used it. He also has AOL AGGGGGGHHHHH Anti Spyware obviously a complete waste on diskspace!!!!

Going through the processes one by one trying to identify which ones can go I found two LEXMARK processes left over from using an old Lexmark Printer. No Lexmark software is shown in the ADD REMOVE folder.

How do I remove these processes??
Will this involve Regedit?
I have not yet done a search for thes items, just found them in Task Manager.

Second problem looking in MSCONFIG there are several calls left over by Viruses such as Maxblast.exe and W.exe ?? Whilst I believe these viruses have now been removed how do I irradicate these Calls, this would be slowing down the startup.

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi JonnyAlpha

If you're talking about spyware, adware and viruses, I think you post in the wrong forum.

Try this one

"http://www.geekstogo..._Here-f37.html"

Think you will find really good help over there.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
My post is not about Malware removal as I have achieved that by running Adaware and Spybot, my post is actualy about cleaning up Windows XP, removing unwanted processes and redundant startup scripts.
It contains two subjects:

1. How to remove redundant processes left over from an install of a Lexmark Printer that is no longer in use.

2. How to remove entries in MSCONFIG Starup that seem to be leftover from Spyware / Virus activity

The PC takes an age to startup and when running is very slow, I think the startup time is affected by these redundant calls. The lack of speed is due to haviing far to many processes running in the background.

I have identified all running processes using Google and now need assistance in removing redundant processes left over by Lexmark, no entrie appear in the Add Remove Programs, but I have not yet done a search for them to see where they are located.

What is the best way to find and stop these these processes from running.

I can stop the startups in MSCONFIG by deselecting the item in the Startup tab but this is only a diagnostic approach, how do I remove them altogether.

Many thanks

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi JonnyAlpha

I misunderstood. I use CCleaner to clean out the registry.

Might want to give it a try.

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4191

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
HI Jonny

CCleaner is a good program, but this is the one that cleans out your registry.

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=2048

I have them both and run them once a day either when I start up or shut down.

Hope they help

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Many thanks;

I`ll give them a go.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi JonnyAlpha

You might look in My computer > Program Files and see if there a Lexmark folder in there. Since you're not using it anymore, just delete it.

Hope this helps

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
One of the links took me to RegScrub XP I downloaded this program but found problems with it trying to fix more than 5-6 problems, the program would Hang.

When doing a search on the Major Geeks Forum I found that this program had been dropped in 2002 and was no longer being updated???

Anothert cleaner was recommended "Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.1" so I`ll give that a go.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for letting me know. Have to try that one too.

Is it helping any???

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

this is a very good cleaner

but any left over malware or spyware can still comprimise your computer

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi rushin1nd

I understand that and agree with you.

JonnyAlpha stated

"My post is not about Malware removal as I have achieved that by running Adaware and Spybot, my post is actualy about cleaning up Windows XP, removing unwanted processes and redundant startup scripts."

After I run these programs, if I suspect malware, I post a hijackthis on the malware forum.

Thanks

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Update;

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.1 installed and ran fine does a pretty thourough job too. CCleaner runs well and also has a Registry cleaning function which picked up a few issues that Eusing Cleaner did not.

I also have Steven Goulds Cleanup on another PC works nice and fast about the same as CClean but does not look as nice "If your after asthetics".

I ran Eusing and CClean, Adaware and Spybot on my clients PC and it removed two out of three old startups Oh I miss quoted the remaining startup is a registry call to msblast.exe which I think is left over from the W32 Blaster Worm.

Anyhow managed to get his machine down to 53 running processes and he`s relatively happy, its a P4 Celeron 2.4Ghz with 256MB Mem but I think AOL and all its junk is really slowing it down, AOL auto logs onto the Internet at startup but you still have to run AOL and sign in, god I hate AOL...

Thank for all the help

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I'm glad everyone's happy and it worked.

Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed.

and Thanks for telling me about Eusing. I uninstalled RegScrub and tried that. IT's really nice.