Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to increase quality of an mp3

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have recently downloaded some mp3's from a website and have burned them to a cd but the quality of the audio is not very good. I looked at the files I downloaded and they are at 32kbps. Is there any way that I can increase the quality of the audio?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
32 kbps is way too low for quality audio. CD quality needs to be at least 128kbps. Unfortunately there's no way you can improve what you have. Quality has to be decided at the conversion/ripping stage and that's already been done on the files you downloaded. You'll only get better quality by downloading better quality files in the first place.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Well I guess I'll try to find a better quality version of what I downloaded. Thank you

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To give you an analogy, suppose you saved a thumbnail image and then printed it full page. It would look very pixelated and of poor quality. It just doesn't contain enough data to fill the page. The same is true of MP3's. A 32kps file doesn't contain enough data to offer a great listening experience.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i think original cd quality is 1411 kbps, so you see that is indeed a HUGE difference. most people don't hear the difference between 128 kbps and more, so as pip22 mentioned, that should be your lower boundry

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Page 3 looks at file sizing, they rate 176 kbps as acceptable for audio

http://www.columbia....o_File_Size.pdf