Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp

• Please log in to reply

mushu

mushu

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i couldnt install service pack 2 on my computer. its a hp 520w. i contacted gateway and they told me to reinstall sp1, so i did. then my computer just kept restarting, so they said to do a system repair. i did that and it booted up, but there are alt of dll files that wont load now, windows media player wont work, outlook express is not working, there is no longer a system restore. what do i need to do to fix this. i am running windows xp.
thanks in advance

Advertisements

jl2

jl2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
if you have a XP install dics i would boot off of it, the first opt. screen you get hit enter, than you'll have to hit F8 to agree, then the next opt. screen you get hpoefully one of the options will be "R" to repair windows. that repair opt. will almost always fix missing files as well as other windows problems. if that doesn't work, i would recommend backing up your data & if you can get your hands on an XP disc that already has SP2 i would use that to format & install a fresh copy of windows. then if your missing any drivers you can probably get them from the manufactures web site
Good Luck

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the advice was pretty good except the part about getting an xp disc with sp2 already on it.

You will have to use the cd's you have to reinstall the os and then install sp2. The only other legal and correct way around this is to purchase a new retail copy of windows xp as it will come with sp2.

mushu

mushu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i did reinstall from a cd and also did a system restore, neither worked.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does it say to indicate dll files are not loading?

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.

mushu

mushu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, i tried to install that file and the box pops up, but it does not download or install. there are several things that a box comes up and says that that dll wont load. when i click on set program access and defaults, it does nothing. on system restore it says the procedure entry point Remote Assistance Prepare system restore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll.

**i restarted and tried it again and it worked!! just one more thing, sp1 is supposed to be installed, but doesn't seem to be installed and the set program access and defaults still isnt working, what do i do with those???? i also cannot install service pack 2.

thank you so much!!!!!everyone, for helping

Edited by mushu, 30 July 2006 - 08:43 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Using the XP disc you originally installed with

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

mushu

mushu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok. i'll try this and let you know how it went. thanks again.

jl2

jl2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

the advice was pretty good except the part about getting an xp disc with sp2 already on it.

You will have to use the cd's you have to reinstall the os and then install sp2. The only other legal and correct way around this is to purchase a new retail copy of windows xp as it will come with sp2.

i have to disagree with you, if you have a Microsoft sticker with a valid Windows product key code, you do not have to use any praticiular disc. SP2 works much more smoothly if it is preinstalled versus downloaded. if your pc came without SP2 there is nothing illegal about formatting your hard drive & using a disc that has SP2 preinstalled, you will have to activate it with Microsoft with a phone call when your finished. you tell them what you did & why you did it & they activate for you. If that's not legal somebody might want to tell them. You can also get SP2 on a CD free from Microsoft to upgrade a non SP2 OS. Downloading SP2 can & does cause a variety of potential problems. that is of course just my opinion, but i do base all of what i've said here on expr.

Have a blessed day,
j

Edited by starjax, 02 August 2006 - 03:17 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

you do not have to use any praticiular disc

actually you do. a leagal version, not one that you downloaded from p2p or a "burned" copy.

The entire point was to keep the user leagal. Not only does the comply with G2G Terms of services, it will keep one from running a foul with Windows Genuine Advantage and still be able to contact microsoft for support, should he ever have a need to do that.

You specifically use the phrase "getting your hands on" which was open to interpetation. In your response today you clarified your original statement.

Keith has already stepped in and provided step by step instructions on how to resolve the issue. At the moment we are just waiting to hear from the user.

jl2

jl2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

The only other legal and correct way around this is to purchase a new retail copy of windows xp as it will come with sp2.

yes, i see that kieth has resolved the issue & now we're getting off topic. your right that my comment was open to interpretation. i did not however suggest to anyone to download or burn anything. I will stick to my guns though on the issue of what makes your installed version of Windows (whatever flavor) legal is not the source that you installed it from, it is simply the license. the license is your 25 digit code on your Microsoft sticker. So again i have to respectfuly disagree with your above statement. If you can activate your OS with Microsoft & install the "Genuine Advantage Notification Tool" update successfully you've done nothing illegal.
I made the assumtion at the begining of this that the "User" had a "legal" license. If that is the case nothing i suggested was illegal. The bottom line is an Install Disc does not have a license embedded in it, the license is on your pc & that is what makes you legal. :whistling:

have a wonderful day,
j

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have to go on jl2 side MS have came out officialy in the past and said that as long as a user has a valid liscence how they get installation disks is inconsequenctial because they were purposely not given any copy protection so people could make and give backups, windows copy protection comes in after the fact of installation.

Or easy way to do it is to make a brand new XP install from the old one by slipstreaming it with all the updates thus giving you a new install disk but its still the old one. Or what i do when i lose mine get a copy from a friend or take a copy of one of my many backups hidden(lost) over the years.

mushu

mushu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i used the original cd and did a system repair and i still cannot do an automatic update or download update of sp2. also the set access programs and defaults still wont work....is there anything else i can try? how important is it to download sp2? i also meant to mention that the active x warnig that shows when you start to download something does not appear either. thanks again
Any ideas anyone??????

Edited by mushu, 08 August 2006 - 04:00 PM.