Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card driver installation 101

• Please log in to reply

GDJ

GDJ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I haven't installed a video driver before when the card gets so bad that Windows will not boot regular or safe mode. An error message pops up after trying to boot indicating the 3dfx vodoo 3 card drivers are bad and can not continue.

I have an old Gateway P3 550. Had Windows 98, and reinstalled XP pro. Worked for a while, then trouble with the video card. What is the next step to resolve this issue. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been looking for drivers and places that sell these graphics cards. I can find no one that sells these cards. It looks like they quit making them in 2004. There are a few drivers out there but i read about problems with Direct X 8. It would be easier for you to buy a more supported video card like the Nvidia TNT 2x/4x video card. I doubt that your computer supports 8X video cards. Here is a website with some decent prices on the older cards. I have not delt with them so i cant say how good they are. Caveat Emptor

http://www.pcpartsoh...?category_id=17

i like the TNT-2 M64 card for $10. I have 2 of these cards in older computers with no problems with them.

SRX660

GDJ

GDJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any ideas on how to uninstall the video drivers to keep the system from hanging and not booting all the way. Will putting in a new card without fixing the driver issues make any difference?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. First place to try finding a driver would be at Gateway's web site. Another source is www.driverguide.com (you have to register but it is free).

GDJ

GDJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So I can find drivers no problem, and cards, but really have one question regarding my current situation about not booting.

When the computer won't boot because of bad video drivers then what is the best solution? Go into setup? bios? or just slap in a new card anyway? Thanks.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
can you boot into safe mode? If you can, you could remove the hardware, reboot and let windows detect the new hardware and reinstall the driver.

Edited by austin_o, 28 July 2006 - 07:27 AM.

GDJ

GDJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, can't make it to safe mode and this was the reason for my initial inquiry. What would be another way to uninstall / reinstall drivers when Windows will not load?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have your windows install cd? Can you get into the bios? Change the boot order to boot from cd first If it won't boot into safe mode, it is probably not a mere driver issue. See if you can boot from the cd.

GDJ

GDJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes on bios set up, not sure what to do in there.

Booting from the original Gateway CD with windows 98 did not work because XP is now installed, kicked me to an a:> prompt.

Using the XP CD also worked poorly and ended up with an a:> prompt.

Would working in the bios be the best bet or can I do something from the prompt to delete the drivers.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Once inside the bios, look for a screen with boot option settings. Make sure it is set to boot from the cd drive first. Make sure the windows install cd is in the drive. Save the settings and exit, then reboot. It should boot up from the windows install cd.