Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finally my build

• Please log in to reply

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, after months of research I can finally post this here:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2G (2x1G) DDR2800 PC6400 4-4-4-12

VGA: 6600GT 256mb

PSU:ANTEC True550W ATX

The case, optical drives and other stuff I can manage but I just need you guys to check compatibility especially concerning the RAM I don't know how to decide on PC-6400 or PC-5400 appart from the price.. The computer will be used for gaming, but mostly video and photo stuff, I also want to try and overclock it a bit. I also hesitated on the mobo between the one I chose and the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, I went with the former because of the price but coul there be a reason to chose the later other than price? As for the video card I chose this one knowing that DX10 is out at the end of the year.
Ok hope to hear from you guys soon, thanks in advance.

K

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Other than minor differences like having quad bios instead of the dual bios, and a slight difference in the memory controller ( perhaps to use future PC1067 memory), i don't see any reason to buy the DQ6 other than you having a "gotta get the mostest and bestest" reason. On the ram i always buy the fastest the Mb can handle. Having 8 Sata ports on the MB is kinda crazy as windows will only handle 2 terrabytes. 4 500Gig HD's is about all you can use. Would'nt it be nice to have optical drives on Sata connections. Well maybe some day.

SRX660

kebabboy

kebabboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply,

Ok so I got the Mobo sorted. This board can support up to DDR2 800 so you suggest I got with the PC-6400? How about the graphics card any thoughts on that?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
By your post i had the notion that the 6600 card is just a interim card to use until you can buy a DX10 capable graphics card. It looks like DX10 will only be available with the Vista operating system and i assumed you would be doing that. Its probably a good way to go since you could sell the 6600 card and get some of your money back on it.

SRX660

kebabboy

kebabboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yeah I did but with all the different models out there the choice was more of a guess in the correct area. Anyway thanks a lot for your input, you were very reassuring.
Thanks!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt get the 6600GT they are still quite expensive ive seen them priced similarly to the low end x1600s and even those are faster and you can pick up x800s really cheaply now and they leave a 6600GT in the dust in fact ive seen x800xls a fair bit cheaper than some 6600GTs not to mention the GTO versions of the x800, i would go with something other than the 6600s good idea but not the best card to get even with that logic.

You can get SATA optical drives there just isnt alot of them.

Edited by warriorscot, 28 July 2006 - 06:27 AM.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok thanks I'll go have a look and see what I find, I'll post back here later.