Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up an internet home network?

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay so 2 days ago i order comcast for an 8 mb internet connection using cable i believe. Anyways, while placing my order, they asked if i wanted "professional installation" for the home network. I chose yes, and it costs me $149.99. When i called, they said that if i wanted internet connection 2 both of my computers (desktop and laptop, both using Win XP; wireless for laptop) i need to pay that much so they can set it up for me or i can do it myself, and ofcourse, it wouldn't cost me except for the equipment (router, i believe) which is around 50-70 bucks at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Anyways, i'm wondering if i can actually set that up myself, yet i have no experience with such thing ever, and save myself a few bucks.

Can anyone tell me if there's a tutorial, or maybe just explain it here or if it's impossible since i'm an amatuer?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Please hurry, i need to tell them about it before the 6th of August!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html here's a wonderful tutorial on home networking

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay that looks good, but i have no idea which one of those i should go with:

Wireless Home Network Physical Setup (1 to ?? PC’s)
Automatic DHCP

Physical Setup Instructions (Any OS)

OR

Wireless Home Network OS Setup (1 to ?? PC’s)
Windows XP and Automatic DHCP

Operating System Setup Instructions (Windows XP)

Also, i duno the meaning of some words like "Cat 5 jumper" or "DHCP" etc etc.

If anyone can tell me which one should i choose and explain the terms in it or something.

Thanks!

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cat 5 Jumper is just a jumper wire (couple of inches long) for cat5 (read that as the wire that plugs into networking stuff) cable.

DHCP - technogarbage = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Read that as the technology that assigns different addresses to your computer (much more involved than that, but you don't need to know the bs)

If you're using high speed cable, they'll probably provide you with a cable modem. If not, you'll need to get one at best buy or circuit city or wherever. You'll also want a router. Spend whatever for a 4 port or so router...I only say 4 port because I don't think they make 2 port ones...if they do, and you know you'll never need more...eh, nevermind...get the 4 they're cheap enough and industry standard.

You'll need a network card in each computer. The network card has a cat 5 port on the back...you'll know it's a cat 5 port because it looks like a big phone jack hole (just trying to keep it simple). You'll run Cat 5 cable from each computer to the router. You'll run cat 5 cable from the router to the cable modem. You'll run your tv cable to your modem as well. I suggest using a splitter otherwise you won't get cable tv anymore.

Assuming you're using Windows XP, just run the networking setup wizard on each computer. Select the option that the computer connects to the internet through a network router and keep hitting next. Give your workgroup or network a name and keep going to next next until you are all done. You can do the "make network setup disk" but I just skip that part and run the same network wizard on the other computer.

The comcast server will allow your cable modem internet access. Sometimes (seeing as you're setting it up all at once) it's easier to do it in parts. Connect your main computer to the cable modem directly, go through the network setup wizard. Your first page might be an authorization page from comcast where it picks up your hardware's id numbers or it might just give you access. You can use their tech support there. Once you're connected and online, connect everything like I put above and get em both online. Post here iwth any problems you're having.

Hint: Search online ads for cheap routers with rebates or sales..they are always going on. You might even find yourself with a wireless router for the same price, go for it. Only a bit more of setup issues to secure it and you're all set.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay honestly, i duno, i think them setting it would be much easier and less complicated. I mean, i can't guarantee myself if it's gonna work, etc.

What do you think?

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Bump!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello sososick and welcome to G2G,

Is there anything I can help you with on this project... If you are planning on Just connecting one computer then it would be wise to let them install it... But if you are connecting more than one computer then you enter a whole new realm of extra charges for your internet service form your provider.

Example: on just one computer

My service provider charges $45.00 for a professional installation, with the regular monthly charges of $29.95. Not a bad deal for someone who doesn't know much about PC's.

Example: More than one computer

My service provider charges $201.00 for a professional installation, with the regular monthly charges of $39.95 for a standard Wired network of two pc's. Additional PC's are $100.95 for software installation and $75.00 for additional wiring per PC.

My service provider charges $301.00 for a professional installation, with the regular monthly charges of $39.95 for a standard Wireless network of two pc's. Additional PC's are $100.95 for software/hardware installation.

These are some pretty hefty charges for a High Speed Internet Installation bill, but I see it every day and it is why I have a job :blink: ......If you decide to go with the ISP"s Pro install option make sure to read and listen to the extra charges and fine print. :whistling:

If you decide to stick it out here, then we can get you going for a small fraction of the costs that you would incur from your ISP.... and that cost would be TIME.... Bet you though I was going to say something like a low low price of $19.95 huh. Let me know what you want to do I am here to help.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
As i said, i wouldn't mind doing it myself, but am i guaranteed to get it working?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I cannot give you a gurantee on your ability.. I dont know you :whistling: ... all I can gurantee is that i will make every effort possible to help you, but if you are unable to follow direction, impatient with the time it takes to post and wait for a reply in a forum, or just like spending lots of money for something you maybee could have done yourself then you may want to have your ISP help you out.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 05 August 2006 - 05:19 PM.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hey man. i got the internet yesterday, but it has been having problems, the cable modem has been disconnecting every 5-10 mins, and comcast don't know what the problem is, everytime i call them they say it's fixed, it goes online, 10 minutes later, it disconnects. I'm calling them right now again and i'm on hold, i wana see what the networking department has to say.

The technician said he hasn't seen anything like this before, and he suggested i buy a modem and a router from Best Buy or something, and told me it would work much better than this "sensitive device."

I'll let you know what they tell me when they answer :whistling:

EDIT: Eh he said he'll send someone over to see what's wrong.

Edited by sososick, 10 August 2006 - 03:00 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Do you have a motorrolla cable modem... if you do let me know and we can investigate the following questions that way... if not.. when the cable tech shows up, have him find out

1. What the return transmit level is at? If the number he gives you is higher than 52 DbMv then that is a very possible reason for losing connectivity (AKA High Transmits).

2. Ask him what the Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio Is. Any Number lower than 30 is a possible cause also.

If he wants to know how you know how to ask those questions, just tell him you have a friend that is a cable man also... :whistling:

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Aaah too late, oh well. Uhm, it has been disconnecting like only once a day, but that's still a problem with me, he said he's gonna call back on Wednesday to tell us what the problem is and what they can do about it. Basically right now the problem is that everytime we connect to an online game, Counter Strike, it disconnects, or whenever lets say, i try to download something from BitComet or something, it disconnects. I'm guessing the modem "can't handle" heavy duties. We told him, actually showed him the problem and he doesn't know why it's doing that. So he'll check on it too.

Ugh my luck sucks :whistling: