Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired router + Wireless router = problems

• Please log in to reply

DrPhil

DrPhil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Someone please help me......

I am running XP and have two routers:

1. Router 1 (R1) is an ADSL modem conected to my PC via an ethernet port - this is for internet access

2. Router 2 (R2) is a wireless router connected to my PC via wireless. Plugged into this router via ethernet is a hard disk - I use this for back up.

And now the problem....

If R1 ONLY is connected, internet access is fine.

If I now enable the wireless and R2 is connected - I loose internet access. I can of course see the external hard disk I use for backup.

I can see what is happening here - but I don't know how to fix it. When R1 is only connected, this is used as the default gateway (192.168.1.1) for the internet connection. As soon as I enable the wireless, this is used as the default gateway (192.168.0.4) - but there is only a hard disk connected to this and hence no internet connection....

So - how do I stop XP from changing from one gateway (192.168.1.1) to another (192.168.0.4) ??

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..you'd need to change the ip address that the wireless router is using.....or you'd need to reconfigure this setup...

can you explain the purpose for having the two different router? is it just to have the "hard drive" (please describe this device) connected wirelessly?

DrPhil

DrPhil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply..

"well..you'd need to change the ip address that the wireless router is using.....or you'd need to reconfigure this setup..."

But if I change the wireless IP address then when I enable the wireless the PC will just use that address as the gateway ???

As soon as I switch the wireless on, it uses that as its default-gateway to the internet.....changing its IP address makes no difference....

"can you explain the purpose for having the two different router? is it just to have the "hard drive" (please describe this device) connected wirelessly?"

Correct. It's a very noisy ethernet external hard drive - so it sits in a cupboard under the stairs hence the wireless connection to the PC....

--
Philip

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..what you've got here are two seperate networks which is why there's an issue here...of course...your wireless connection shouldn't be taking precedence over the wired one no matter what...but it seems to be doing so...so the gateway on the wireless network shouldn't be affecting anything on the wired side..hmmm

in this situation what you would be wanting to do is set up an AD-hoc wireless network between the two devices...but i'm unfortunately not sure how you would go about doing that ...

time to think...

i'm gonna assume that there's no possibility of just running an ethernet cable down to the cubporad eh? (man that would be easy hehehe)

i'll need some time to think...this is a funky setup