Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a good gaming rig?

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi well this is my first custom built gaming rig, i just wana get your feed back to see if there is any room for improvements

CPU: AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ Socket 939 venice at 2.6GHz

Cpu Cooler: Gigabyte G-Power BL

Memory: 2GB(2x1GB Dual channel) SAMSUNG RAM DDR400 PC3200

HDD: Seagate 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB Hard Disk

Graphics: XFX Extreme Edition Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256bit DDR3 16X PCI-Express (520 core/1600 memory)

Optical drive: 16X +/-/R/RW Double Layer DVD Writer

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLi SE,Dual 16xPCI-Express,SATA2,Raid,8channel sound,gigabit lan

Case: Raidmax Nijia Case with 520W PSU

Your feed back is much appreciated!!

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hehe, sure you don't wanna a core 2 duo system, or maybe a better amd proc since most of them are 50% off? plus dx10 will be out soon(i hope) so building a system now would just mean upgrades in 6 month. But if you really want it, than maybe get some ddr2 ram.

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
yea I agree with Gladiator, the new Intel processors were released on Thursday and will officially be in all retail stores by next week they kick major [bleep] and overclock like a beast, but if ur an AMD fan its the best time to get something higher up cuz of all their price cuts you can now get the dual core Athalon 64 X2 5000+ for $330 US which is over 50% off what it was last week..... but thats socket AM2 if u want to stick with ur chosen socket 939 mobo you can get the 3800+ for half of that.

And I would be careful with the Nvidia 7900's, they are all known to have huge problems due to using crappy samsung memory which is only rated to use up to 1400mhz memory clock and as u can see its up at 1600, these cards are known to die within days, i was originally going to get one myself but decide not to since ppl had to RMA theirs 3 to 4 times and still not get a working card..... i dont want to scare you but just giving you a heads up, if you still want a 7900 i would suggest not getting something thats extreme edition from XFX or anything overclocked from EVGA as these cards have 75% more chance of dieing instantly, instead get the stock 7900's which rate at 1320mhz of memory.

Also not sure what your paying for that 250GB Seagate HD but if its $100 or more then you can go to tigerdirect.com and get yourself a 320gig Seagate Sata2 with 16mb cache instead of your 8mb for $110.

The Rest looks good, never tried samsung memory so cant comment on that.

Edited by jigga211, 28 July 2006 - 06:47 PM.

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Dude, don't be an alarmist - yes some 7900 GT cards have problems, but about 95% of all reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Deleted

Edited by kidnova, 29 July 2006 - 02:57 PM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
woah.... you asked for some input, no one said your rig was noobie. I just made a few small suggestions, basically what i am saying is that by waiting for a few month you get 3 times the system for the same price.
My system is...... not that amazing, but i like it and that's what counts.
No put downs on this forum.

It's your life, your money and your computer, we are only here to offer advice, and that's just what it is advice. if you are offended by good natured advice than you can ignore them.

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Apritske, as I said im not trying to alarm the man but to give him a heads up, would you like it if you baught the card and then the thing died on you the next day? I sure would love to have someone tell me if there is something wrong with the series before I decided to buy it.... Sure you wont find any "reviews" saying that the card is faulty but go over to Evga Forums which is the only company that actually has a forum and you can see the amount of people who floods them with their cards being faulty, not to mention people with crads from XFX, MSi and other Retailers over there trying to get some info on how they can fix em.

here is the link, read up and do more research before you talk
Evga Forum

Edited by jigga211, 29 July 2006 - 10:50 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Deleted

Edited by kidnova, 30 July 2006 - 08:16 PM.

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well now that you clear it up I know how drinking goes. Your appology is accepted I will edit my previous post and I take back what I said about you.