Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows repair help!

• Please log in to reply

Arachnis

Arachnis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:blink: Ok I'm quite new here, so I will be extremely thankful for any help you have to offer. I was playing around with ntoskrnl.exe (Stupid of me, I know.) but I was only editing a backup copy, I must have somehow replaced it without meaning to :whistling: anyway, now as you can guess, my laptop wont even boot T_T. I tried using my acer repair disk but that formats my hard drive, which would be really inconvenient (I know I should backup more) So then I tried taking out my hard drive and putting it in a caddy but my desktop wont recognise it :help:. Does anyone know of a window repair disk that doesn’t need a license key? Or does anyone know why I can't recognise my hard drive when it’s in a caddy? Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if by "caddy" you mean an external enclosure...it may not be recognized be cause the drive may not me jumpered correctly...try jumpering the drive as CS (cable selec) and see if it will work on the usb enclosure

and no...there aren't any XP cds that will allow you to do an actuall xp repair install without a cdkey...but the thing there is...no matter what xp cd that's used (as long as it's the same type that was originally installed. i.e. xp home sp1, xphome sp2, or xp pro sp1 or xp pro sp2) if you use the product key that's on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop..the cdkey will (should) work

Arachnis

Arachnis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I'll give that a go :whistling: . Just as soon as I can get my hard drive out of this external enclosure.(bloody fiddley screws...)